Opus Freezing on Android Phone Storage Open

Hello , I've Samsung Galaxy S2 Phone ,
when i connect phone to usb and open storage by its menu.
Opus becoming freezing.
something seems wrong.
I had to open Windows Explorer and my android phone disk becomes usable...

I just wanted to report a bug.
Can you look at it.

I have a similar phone (Samsung Nexus S) and do not see that problem.

If you open the phone in Explorer first, does it then work in Opus?

Does all of Opus lock-up, or just the one window?

Which anti-virus (or similar security/firewall) software do you use?

No problems like that here with my Sensation SE, Sensation XL or Desire S.

Same problem here with my Xoom Android 4.04. Dopus freezes solid. Needs taskmanager to kill it.

Everything tried. Unplugging before, after, during. Running explorer alongside, beforehand.

In explorer no problems whatsoever.

I think the the Xoom is one of the Android devices which presents its storage an MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) device rather than as a standard disk drive (USB Mass Storage).

That means Opus itself won't understand the device natively, and will delegate display of it to either Windows itself or a 3rd party shell namespace extension. Whichever it is, we may have a compatibility issue with the namespace, but it may also be difficult to track down in the short-term as we don't currently have a similar device to test with.

It's only a few 100 bucks :slight_smile:

bump. Any progress?

There was a post from about a year ago (August 17, 2011) that explained how to set up an Android smartphone and D-Opus to exchange files via FTP. Not sure if that would be a work around for you, but you might give it a read. http://www.monroeworld.com/forums/showthread.php?19649-Android-Dopus-Wifi-Painless-File-Management

The new Samsung Galaxy S3 is able to view files on a computer hard drive. Is there a way to use that link to go from D-Opus back to the Galaxy?

Tony

That's a question better answered by somebody well versed in the Samsung S3 capabilities... That it can browse files on a computer hard drive means that it has a "Client" software component tat let's it do this... In oirder to go the other way, it would also need to have a "Server" component that allows access to it's files, and the two types of components aren't always paired up together.

Thanks steje. That makes sense. I've used SAMBA to view and manage files between Windows, Linux, and even Mac machines for years. Macs, of course, also use Airplane.

In a bit of surfing since reading your reply I've found some options.

From a forum — [quote]. . . if you want to share the resources you have to install the samba application (Server); it does however already have a Samba client application (Network Shares).[/quote] That's a good start.

From another forum — [quote]First you need an sbm app for your phone like Samba. Using Samba you can share and browse your phone on your network. Basically you'll be able to browse it over wifi by going to \android\sdcard . . . Then map a network drive to the shared network resource. For me, I made a "W:" drive for my wifi syncing, and mapped it to \android\sdcard.[/quote]

On the Google play site there are a lot of SAMBA apps, which I have not tried to use or have any first hand knowledge about. One, Samba Filesharing, creates a WiFi server —

From a blog — [quote]You know how when you connect your phone to your computer, you have to connect it via a cable and have to mount the directory before being able to transfer files back and forth? Well, Samba Filesharing allows you to transfer files wirelessly as long as your computer and phone are connected to the same network. No more having to connect the cable anytime you want to do a quick file transfer . . . [on some Androids] there is a built in feature called Wifi-Direct which does the same thing as this app [Samba Filesharing]. You can find it in the settings[/quote]

So there are some options to make the files on an Android cell phone SD card visible and manageable using D-Opus.

kadirb

[quote]when i connect phone to usb and open storage by its menu.
Opus becoming freezing.[/quote]

Why do you want to connect the phone? Are you using an SD card with your phone? If so, then all you need is a little adapter. I used one from Kingston with my old not-so-smart phone. Pop the card out, slide it into the adapter which has a USB plug on the other end (almost as big as the whole adapter), and plug it into the computer. It then becomes a simple USB drive, which D-Opus can read and write to like any other USB drive or flash drive. If you are trying to read your cell phone files on your computer, that's a simple way. No apps, no setting up SAMBA, no tethering cords.

@Spurred_On: Putting out the SD could be a bit too complicated on most phones (like Sensation (XE)) when the card is inside the phone. Also you need to disconnect (line on USB-connect) before plugging out to avoid data loss.

Another solution is using e.g. fileexplorer (rhythm soft) and configuring a connection to your workstation via WLAN. Sure a bit slower on large files but works.