Changing folder icons in xp64

Is there a way to have DO pick up changed folder icons in xp64? I have been able to change them in windows explorer with iconpackager by using the technique of closing the 64bit explorer, opening the 32bit explorer in task manager and then running iconpackager to make the changes. However, after booting DO is still picking up the defaults.

Thanks

AFAIK, DOpus uses its own internal icons for folders and they can't be changed.

Opus gets the icons from Windows. I found this in one of Jon's older posts:

[quote="jon"]Opus gets its icons from the system (by simply saying : tell me which icon to use for this file/folder). We have found that some programs which let you change folder icons (like StyleXP) don't work with Opus - they seem to be hard coded to only work with Explorer.

However, changes made to folder icons through the system-provided method (Properties->Customize this folder) work fine in Opus. Unfortunately this option does not seem to be available for hard drives.[/quote]
As to how you make Windows (not just Explorer) use a differnet folder icon by default, I don't know. I expect the folder icons are just normal icon resources in one of the DLLs under System32 (or System32Wow64 or whatever the silly name is on Win64) and editing the resource should replace the icon, but that might also trigger problems with Windows File Protection which may be why icon-replacement programs (presumably) don't do that...

There are several different icon-replacement programs. Does anyone know if one of them works with Opus? If not maybe a feature request should be filed to simply provide a way, in Opus, to override the system icons. It seems a reasonably number of people want to customize the icons and (most of?) the usual tools to do so only work with Explorer.

If DOpus gets its icons from Windows default ones, I guess it is possible to hack system32.dll in order to replace the folder icon. That's what some visual themes patches do.
Theorically, there's no problem doing this (if done properly !) but I never really tried it.

[quote="abelthorne"]If DOpus gets its icons from Windows default ones, I guess it is possible to hack system32.dll in order to replace the folder icon. That's what some visual themes patches do.
Theorically, there's no problem doing this (if done properly !) but I never really tried it.[/quote]

that doesnt seem to work as I've used a shell replacement theme that changes the default icons of folders/drives etc but this is not reflected in DOP. Quite frustrating. Sweet program but got its a bit ugly. Especially those default icons!

Presumably your program changes the icons in Explorer (the File-Open dialog is part of Explorer as well) rather than system wide?

I guess since there is no clear way to do it it, and a fair number of people seem to want to, it would be good if Opus provided an explicit way to substitute the folder icon. I wonder if anyone has raised an official feature request?

I've been able to correctly update the folder icons inside DOpus with IconPackager. Here is the way:

From Iconpackager, select under TOOLS menu, "Repair shell icons"; then add "DOpus.exe" at the presented programs list, then close the window. That's all.

Now, after applyed a new icon pack, just close DOpus from system tray icon, and re-launch it. NOTE: You DON'T NEED to force repair icons from Iconpackager for each pack change. Just close DOpus from systray and re-open it.

Hope it works as it has worked for me.

Interesting...

You might not know the answer to this question... but do you know exactly what this maneuver actually does? Is it that IconPackager is configuring something in the Windows subsystem to present modified icons to the dopus process? IconPackager doesn't normally running anything as a background process right?

I suspect Icon Packager intercepts some system calls and substitutes different icons for specific processes - by default presumably just Explorer. Nice to see someone finally decided to try to work out why it didn't work with Opus instead of just assuming it was Opus at fault :slight_smile:

It could be, but it don't seems ther's any process related to iconpackager. However I think this solution should be make more popular, what about sticking it?

[quote="Gardhul"]I've been able to correctly update the folder icons inside DOpus with IconPackager. Here is the way:

From Iconpackager, select under TOOLS menu, "Repair shell icons"; then add "DOpus.exe" at the presented programs list, then close the window. That's all.

Now, after applyed a new icon pack, just close DOpus from system tray icon, and re-launch it. NOTE: You DON'T NEED to force repair icons from Iconpackager for each pack change. Just close DOpus from systray and re-open it.

Hope it works as it has worked for me.[/quote]

I am sad and sorry to announce that this procedure did not go work for me although I exactly applied it. This post had given me hope. Too bad! :cry:

That is very strange indeed... :confused: this solution continues to work for me... there's out there other people that could try it?