Limit Number of Instances

How do I limit the number of instances of Opus that will open to just one?

I have looked through the preferences but was unable to find a setting. However, I may have well missed it if it is there as the possible settings/tweaks are overwhelming.

Please help!

If you mean many DO windows opened, it's all the time one instance.

X.

No matter how many Opus windows you open there's still only one process behind them, but if your question was about configuring Opus so that it only ever has one window open then see the FAQ titled:

"Always re-use a single window instead of opening new windows "

[quote="nudel"]No matter how many Opus windows you open there's still only one process behind them, but if your question was about configuring Opus so that it only ever has one window open then see the FAQ titled:

"Always re-use a single window instead of opening new windows "[/quote]

How would I get it to do the same when pushing Win+O (this is apparently not documented in the FAQ)?

I have this selected everywhere I can find a option for it, and I've tried the example in the reference described to work the same way as it:

Go NEW LASTACTIVELISTER

without any success, it does exactly the same as Go NEW, same behaviour when switching the arguments.

The default for Win+O are:

Go NEW

which also opens an entirely new lister, ignoring any of the mentined settings.

I changed the Win-O hotkey to run Go NEW LASTACTIVELISTER and it seems to work as you want it to. Not sure why it's different for me. You changed the existing global Win-O hotkey via Customize -> Keys, right?

Go LASTACTIVELISTER also works to activate an existing window, but won't open a new window if there isn't one already. That might be worth a try as well.

[quote="nudel"]I changed the Win-O hotkey to run Go NEW LASTACTIVELISTER and it seems to work as you want it to. Not sure why it's different for me. You changed the existing global Win-O hotkey via Customize -> Keys, right?

[/quote]

Yes I did.. What I experienced, and still experiences is that multiple Win+O results in multiple listers (each is listed on the taskbar, so you could call it multiple instances per se) no matter which order the arguments are in the command.

I have DO load without listers upon startup, and use Win+O to open a lister instead of explorer. Never really needed more than one dual.

Just Lastactivelister doesn't work for me as I initially have none open, and close them after use.

The description of the command is what is ideal for me.. Listers hidden under other windows is shown, and if on lister exists it creates a new one.

[quote="nudel"]No matter how many Opus windows you open there's still only one process behind them, but if your question was about configuring Opus so that it only ever has one window open then see the FAQ titled:

"Always re-use a single window instead of opening new windows "[/quote]

Thanks for the response; that fixed the problem of multiple instances opening up.

[quote="myarmor"][quote="nudel"]I changed the Win-O hotkey to run Go NEW LASTACTIVELISTER and it seems to work as you want it to. Not sure why it's different for me. You changed the existing global Win-O hotkey via Customize -> Keys, right?

[/quote]

Yes I did.. What I experienced, and still experiences is that multiple Win+O results in multiple listers (each is listed on the taskbar, so you could call it multiple instances per se) no matter which order the arguments are in the command.

I have DO load without listers upon startup, and use Win+O to open a lister instead of explorer. Never really needed more than one dual.

Just Lastactivelister doesn't work for me as I initially have none open, and close them after use.

The description of the command is what is ideal for me.. Listers hidden under other windows is shown, and if on lister exists it creates a new one.[/quote]
I don't understand why it wouldn't work, unless you are confused about what LASTACTIVELISTER is meant to do.

Go LASTACTIVELISTER should find the most recently-active Opus window that is still open, bring it to the front (if possible) and activate it.

If you close the windows after use as you mention then there won't be a last active lister to activate.

[quote="nudel"]
I don't understand why it wouldn't work, unless you are confused about what LASTACTIVELISTER is meant to do.

Go LASTACTIVELISTER should find the most recently-active Opus window that is still open, bring it to the front (if possible) and activate it.

If you close the windows after use as you mention then there won't be a last active lister to activate.[/quote]

Read below, I quoted myself, and added the thing between {} to make it clear what command I refer to.

[quote]
[b]
[u[Just Lastactivelister[/u] doesn't work for me as I initially have none open, and close them after use.

[/b]

The description of the {Go New LASTACTIVELISTER} command is what is ideal for me.. Listers hidden under other windows is shown, and if on lister exists it creates a new one.[/quote]

My problem with the latter {GO NEW LASTACTIVELISTER} is that it always performs as if I'd written GO NEW, e.g always creates new listers, no matter how many already exists.

I hope this is making more sense now.. English isn't my main language.

That makes sense and is how it's supposed to work, and how it works for me.

I can't think why it wouldn't work for you. :frowning: Maybe there's a problem with certain config options or on some versions of Windows? I've only tried using LASTACTIVELISTER on Vista recently (though I've used it a long time ago on XP as well).

In case it's any use, here's a short video showing how Go NEW ACTIVELISTER works for me. Right at the start it shows the exact definition of the hotkey as well. It might be worth comparing that to your hotkey defintion. (e.g. Is the System-wide Hotkey checkbox set?)

nudel.dopus.com/posts/lastactivelister.wmv (325KB).

I have no idea..

I don't have a recorder like you, but here's a couple of screenshots (one is of the taskbar).

What version of Opus are you using?

I'm using version 9.1.0.0.2893.x86 (03.12.2007 15:15:44).

I'm somewhat confused as to why this doesn't work as expected on my comp.

I use:
WinXP Pro 32bit fully updated (january)
Windowblinds 6 (compatibilitymode enabled).
Kaspersky AV 7.0.0.125dd
Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro 4 (newest build of it)

I guess those would be the apps that could have any impact on DO, if any.

To make sure DO could locate it's own windows I tried to create a new global hotkey with the command

GO LASTACTIVELISTER

and then opened a single lister, and just after it I opened the calculator (xp's).
When I pushed the hotkey the lister came forward, every time, as expected..

I have looked everywhere to find any setting which might force it to always create a new lister, no matter what, but I haven't found any.

I have disabled the setting for click on desktop, and set the click on taskbar/tray to bring forward the old one, and if none exists, create a new.

Maybe I'll try to create a completely fresh install later, and try it from there (is there a reset everything to default button somewhere?).. Not really optimistic though.

You can backup your configuration using Settings->Backup & Restore, and then reset all your configuration data by doing these two things:

1. Open the Preferences window and select File -> Reset All To Defaults.

2. Go to /dopusdata\Buttons and delete all of the *.dop files, then restart Opus.

If it doesn't make any difference then you can simply restore your previous configuration and won't have lost anything.

[quote="nudel"]You can backup your configuration using Settings->Backup & Restore, and then reset all your configuration data by doing these two things:

1. Open the Preferences window and select File -> Reset All To Defaults.

2. Go to /dopusdata\Buttons and delete all of the *.dop files, then restart Opus.

If it doesn't make any difference then you can simply restore your previous configuration and won't have lost anything.[/quote]

Now I've tried it, followed the instructions to the dot.. sort of..
. I made note of the path /dopusdata/buttons pointed to,quit the program, then deleted it (somewhat safer I guess, as it is seldom a program likes suddenly disappearing files).
but no luck..

Btw, it didn't change the customized key definition {GO NEW LASTACTIVELISTER} at all, so I removed /dopusdata/configfiles/hotkeys.oxc too.

So I guess this isn't due to a peculiar setting of some sort.

My keyboard is a Logitech G15 (v1, eg full, not the newer shrunken version) USB keyboard, but I don't think it matters as it does the when executing the same command in CLI.

I use DUAL horizontal mode, but same thing happens with other layouts too.

I then tried to generate the commandline via the menus, just to ensure there wasn't any misspellings (DO apparently just ignores an error if it is a nonexistent switch, and not the command itself).

Hi myarmor, do you have WindowBlinds compatibility mode checked (or in the "intermediate" state) under Preferences - Miscellaneous - Options?

If so then that may be the trigger that stopped LASTACTIVELISTER from working for you, judging by something that was found while investigating a different issue.

Give it a try with that checkbox cleared and let us know if it helped.

[quote="nudel"]Hi myarmor, do you have WindowBlinds compatibility mode checked (or in the "intermediate" state) under Preferences - Miscellaneous - Options?

If so then that may be the trigger that stopped LASTACTIVELISTER from working for you, judging by something that was found while investigating a different issue.

Give it a try with that checkbox cleared and let us know if it helped.[/quote]

I didn't notice this message until just now.. Yep, I use windowblinds (I guess I've mentioned it somewhere in these forums), and I'm very happy now..

I downloaded 9.1.0.3, and lastactivelister WORKS properly :slight_smile: