Preview of local HTM files in Thumbs View?

Hi, how can I get a preview of local HTM files in Thumbs View?

If Explorer generates them then you can get them in Opus as well by ensuring that Shell Image Extraction is enabled in Preferences.

If you don't see them in Explorer then I think you need to change something in the registry, or maybe it just isn't done by IE7 anymore. I can't remember the details but I know that on Vista you don't get HTML thumbs anywhere by default. Not sure if it's IE7 or Vista, nor what the registry setting is (if there is one).

Double click on Settings -> File types -> System File Types -> HTML and under Info tab add a {thumbnail}.

Double click on Settings -> File types -> System File Types -> HTML and under Info tab add a {thumbnail}.[/quote]

That will include their thumbnails in their infotips, but if the thumbnails aren't appearing in the Thumbnails view then they're not going to appear in the infotips either.

I've found a software (thanks to Google) which makes Windows Vista Explorer display html thumbnails:

http://mpj.tomaatnet.nl/vista/htmlpreviews.html

However this works only if MS Internet Explorer ist the default browser for html files. But Firefox users can use this trick I have discovered:
First make MS Internet Explorer the default browser for html files. Then again switch html files back to open in Firefox, which then still displays html thumbnails even if Firefox now is the default internet browser! This is very useful for example when browsing for html files in the Windows Open dialog!

Then, when Shell Image Extraction is enabled in Preferences, the html thumbnails are also displayed in Directory Opus. Problem solved! :slight_smile:

This .reg file was all that I needed after enabling shell image extraction:

[code]REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations.html\shellex{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
@="{EAB841A0-9550-11cf-8C16-00805F1408F3}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations.htm\shellex{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations.url\shellex{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
[/code]

Works with either IE or Firefox being the default browser.

PS: I got it from this forum :slight_smile:

[quote="PeterPanino"]I've found a software (thanks to Google) which makes Windows Vista Explorer display html thumbnails:

http://mpj.tomaatnet.nl/vista/htmlpreviews.html

However this works only if MS Internet Explorer ist the default browser for html files. But Firefox users can use this trick I have discovered:
First make MS Internet Explorer the default browser for html files. Then again switch html files back to open in Firefox, which then still displays html thumbnails even if Firefox now is the default internet browser! This is very useful for example when browsing for html files in the Windows Open dialog!

Then, when Shell Image Extraction is enabled in Preferences, the html thumbnails are also displayed in Directory Opus. Problem solved! :slight_smile:[/quote]

Did you use this in Vista?

No, in fact, I run XP on all my computers (and will certainly keep doing so until Windows 7 comes). But, you did not specify the OS in your original post, plus there are no HTML thumbnails in Opus by default even on XP, so I thought this might help here, too.

In fact, I would actually be interested in knowing whether it works with Vista or not (of course as long as it doesn't take much effort to find out).

Did you use this in Vista?[/quote]