Set File & Folder Colors/Labels via Context Menu

Share completed buttons and toolbars.

Set File & Folder Colors/Labels via Context Menu

Postby leo » 07 Jul 2008, 15:13

[See Also: Color Folder Icons]

Sometimes it's useful to assign different colors and text styles to files and folders so that they stand out from normal items. This post explains how to create a right-click context menu to do just that.

The result will look something like this:

Note that Directory Opus 10 comes with something similar as part of its default toolbars:

If you are using Opus 10 and are happy enough with the menu being tucked away behind the Properties button then you don't need to change anything at all.

Before we begin, note that you can add, remove and modify the available colors and text styles via Settings > Preferences / Favorites and Recent / File and Folder Labels. There you can also see and manage all of your labelled items from a central place.

Here's how to create a context menu that allows you to right-click things to set their colors:

• Go to Settings -> File Types and edit the All Files and Folders type near the top.

• Go to the Context Menu tab, click New and set the Type drop-down to Sub-menu. Name the menu Set Label (or whatever you want) and click OK.

• Click New again and this time set the Type drop-down to Run an Opus function. Enter Properties SETLABEL as the function and click OK.

• You can move the two new items around in the menu as you like. Just make sure the sub-menu stays directly above the Properties SETLABEL command, so they are indented like in the screenshot below.

• If there are any other items below the command then they will initially be indented and inside of the sub-menu as well. To move them out of the sub-menu, right-click the first item after the command and select Decrease Indent to end the sub-menu.

You should end up with something like this:

Directory Opus 9

This guide has been updated for Opus 10 and above. If you are still using Opus 9, there are a few differences:

• First, the command to use is Properties SETCOLOR instead of Properties SETLABEL. (Opus 10 recognises the old command for compatibility with old configurations, but Opus 9 won't recognise the newer command.)
  • Second, in Opus 9 you can only apply colors/labels to folders, not to files. Opus 10 added the ability to apply them to both, as well as the ability to re-color icons as well as, or instead of, the names themselves.
leo
GPSoftware

Opus: Directory Opus 11

Postby abr » 29 Sep 2008, 10:58

[Admin note: Collapsed conversation into a single post to tidy up the thread.]

I have made some button to set a color,

Properties SETCOLOR=name

which works fine. Is there any way to "cycle" through all existent (or a given set) of other colors, using the same hotkey?

leo wrote:I don't think there's a way to cycle them.

No problem, i assigned them to Alt-5, Alt-6 etc. which works fine.
abr
Registered Opus Pro User

Opus: Latest Beta

Postby leo » 05 Oct 2008, 00:17

[Admin note: Collapsed conversation into a single post to tidy up the thread.]

jimerb wrote:Can you think of a way where you could preserve the colors if you copy or move the file structure?

No way that I know of. The colours are stored for an absolute path.

(It makes sense to me. If you backup or rename & replace a special folder you usually only want the one that still has the original name to be coloured. Depends what you're using the colours for, though.)
leo
GPSoftware

Can you do search for all folders with the same colour?

Postby nandonakis » 25 Feb 2010, 06:27

I, like many others, am also trying to get Opus to somehow allow me to tag/mark folders (and ideally files) so that I can do an operation on all of them.

Can you do a find on the folder color used above, so I can then copy them as a group?
nandonakis

Re: Can you do search for all folders with the same colour?

Postby leo » 25 Feb 2010, 06:57

nandonakis wrote:I, like many others, am also trying to get Opus to somehow allow me to tag/mark folders (and ideally files) so that I can do an operation on all of them.

Can you do a find on the folder color used above, so I can then copy them as a group?

You can't specify the colours when searching.

Using a File Collection or the Description column would be more suited to what you're trying to do.
leo
GPSoftware

Re: Set Folder Colors via Context Menu

Postby instigator » 07 Apr 2010, 13:00

can you please share with me your contextmenu configuration. :cry:
instigator

Postby steje » 08 Apr 2010, 15:48

instigator wrote:can you please share with me your contextmenu configuration. :cry:

What's that mean exactly... Leo's "entire" context menu config :-)...?
The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason!
Settings->Backup & Restore is your best friend! | Get Priority Support!
Opus 10 x64 | Windows 7 Enterprise and Home Premium sp1 (x64)
steje
Registered Opus Pro User

Postby instigator » 09 Apr 2010, 06:30

steje wrote:
instigator wrote:can you please share with me your contextmenu configuration. :cry:

What's that mean exactly... Leo's "entire" context menu config :-)...?

Yes, please, that's be wonderful.
instigator

Postby Spokes » 26 Oct 2010, 15:36

Thanks very much, leo, this is very handy!
Spokes
Registered Opus Pro User

Opus: Directory Opus 10

Postby rose » 17 May 2011, 12:07

If I could get this to show in context menu (still trying umpteenth time) would this display a color for the whole folder (or file) line or would it be possible to just colorize the folder?

Opus 10 beta~

When the 10 manual is complete perhaps more clarification but not clear to me at this time.

thanks,

rose
rose

Postby JohnZeman » 17 May 2011, 12:37

rose wrote:would this display a color for the whole folder (or file) line or would it be possible to just colorize the folder?

Rose when you say the folder, I assume you mean the folder icon? If so you can have it either way. Below is a screen shot showing you two folders, the 228-s-12th-st folder line is all blue, while only the folder icon is green on the 220-s-11th-st folder.
Attachments
2011_0517_153444.jpg
2011_0517_153444.jpg (48.16 KB) Viewed 11364 times
JohnZeman
Registered Opus Pro User

Postby JohnZeman » 17 May 2011, 12:42

rose wrote:If I could get this to show in context menu (still trying umpteenth time)

Below is how I have my folder context menu set up. To do the same just go to Settings/File Types and choose the All Folders file type. Edit that, and click the Context Menu tab to configure it.

Of course you need to have your folder colors defined in preferences first.
Attachments
rose 2.jpg
rose 2.jpg (113.15 KB) Viewed 11364 times
JohnZeman
Registered Opus Pro User

Postby leo » 17 May 2011, 12:51

This is setup in the default Opus 10 toolbars, FWIW. It's in the menu attached to the Properties button on the right off the 3rd toolbar.
leo
GPSoftware

Postby rose » 17 May 2011, 13:20

@ John, thanks so much for the images, really helps. Something I'm not seeing because I've tried creating a folder colorize option but dead end after I create addition to the context menu...the option is to associate an app with the context menu addition and that leaves me nowhere. I wind up having an undefined context menu addition which naturally never even shows up on the context menu. I might have screwed things up even more by adding Properties SETLABLE with each color. Read that on another thread. But yes, being able to colorize the folder is what I am wanting.

@ Leo...would you, could you, be so kind as to attach an image as I'm not seeing what you are saying.

thanks so much,

rose
rose

Postby leo » 17 May 2011, 13:32

wc686_dopus.png
wc686_dopus.png (36.28 KB) Viewed 11354 times
leo
GPSoftware

Postby rose » 17 May 2011, 13:35

@ John, how did you create Set folder color <sub> reset color etc? That's were it loops for me with only option that I can see on edit is to pick an app.
rose

Postby rose » 17 May 2011, 13:53

@ Leo

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

fantastic...I've been reading, rereading, clicking, reclicking. This works great. Now I'm off to customize my colors and have a ball :thumbsup:

*imagine hugs*

to you too John for so kindly offering help.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
rose

Postby Beth UK » 17 May 2011, 14:45

:D So simple, so wonderful!
Beth UK

Postby rose » 17 May 2011, 15:05

The thing that is so great about it is using any third party app for color coding folders, ie Rainbow Folders which works very well, when the window is in thumbnail mode the colored folder is tiny generic folder while all the regular folders have that luscious look of 7 folders. I wanted to colorize the folders and have them look just like 7 folders in all their beauty.

I am still blown away. I love looking at beauty :D
rose

Postby Destry » 01 Dec 2011, 10:18

I'm using a legit, subscribed version - 10.0.2.0.4269.x86 (the latest).
Some weeks ago, I played around with the settings and, using ordinary features, managed to set the color of the folders without any help.

But now I've forgotten how I did that.
Can someone tell me where I would have set those colors?

Thanks for help.

Note:
I tried doing what Leo explained in the OP of this thread but the functionality of my version of Directory Opus seems to have changed.
- In Settings > Preferences - Favorites & Recent there is no Folder Colors

- When I follow Leo's steps, it says that "sub-menu selection is not supported in Explorer" but allows me to proceed anyway.
But it doesn't give any meaning (?) to it (it's undefined).
The result is that, when I try to use the context menu live, there's no color values to choose from.

:(
Destry
Registered Opus Pro User

Next

Return to Buttons & Toolbars