10.2.0.1 beta Open New Lister Win + O Windows 8

Hello,

Trying the new beta, 10.2.0.1, in Windows 8 and Win+O does not open a new lister. I can change it to a non WIN key combination and have it work but not with WIN.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Wayne

Windows 8 seems to have taken over the Win+O hotkey for itself, although I'm not sure what for (it does nothing on my Windows 8 system).

Binding the key to Win+E or Win+Y works, so Opus is still able to use/replace some Win-key hotkeys, but whatever is interested in Win+O is seeing it and swallowing the keypress before it reaches Opus.

Thanks Leo,

WIN+O does nothing in Windows 8 as far as I can tell. Tried several that did not work but not Win+E or Win+Y. Perhaps they are reserving it for something on Surface Pro when it comes out.

Best,

Wayne

Every Windows hotkey that Windows uses has to be specifically overridden by Opus before we can use it, and we haven't updated the list of keys yet for Windows 8. We'll look into this for the next beta.

(Though I'm not sure Opus should, out of the box, override an OS defined hotkey - so we might have to end up changing this default hotkey, at least in Windows 8).

Hello Jon,

Thanks for your reply.

The strange thing is that as Leo indicated, Win-O doesn't seem to do anything in Windows 8. They apparently reserved it but it doesn't do anything.

Wayne

It may only do something in specific circumstances. e.g. Win+P Toggles a second monitor on and off (I guess the P stands for Projector and it's with laptops doing presentations in mind) but has no use without one plugged in (although with Win+P it does show a message saying it does nothing, unlike Win+O which doesn't even show a message).

There's a good list of Windows 8 hotkeys around somewhere, although I did a quick search earlier and could only find partial lists which didn't even include Win+P.

Leo,

Also note that Win-E opens Explorer. At least it does in Windows 7. Do not have 8 booted up at the moment.

Thanks,

Wayne

This is a start:

20 must-know Windows 8 tips and tricks | PCWorld

I am with you on this one. Please do not overwrite them. At least, not without confirming that the user wants to do so.

Looking at the list (see above) I can see that some will be useful, when I take the plunge. (Windows 8 bought and retrieved but not yet installed.) Wiping them out would mean that I'd have to learn them all and then redo the DOpus settings.

Win+E launches either My Computer or the Libraries folder (depending on OS version), not Explorer explicitly, so if Opus is set to replace Explorer then it will open Opus.

Opus also has a special way to override Win+E with another command if the user configures that (which I believe is the mechanism Jon is talking about above, and which isn't currently extended to Win+O). So Opus can override Win+E, but doesn't by default and doesn't usually need to.

Looks like Win+O is to lock the screen orientation

blogs.msdn.com/b/hyperyash/archi ... tcuts.aspx

Ah, great find. Thanks!

We're going to change the default hotkey for this to Win+Shift+E in the next beta.

It doesn't look like we'll be able to override Win+O in Windows 8 at all, so on Windows 8 we will automatically convert existing Win+O hotkeys to the new key - existing configurations on Windows 7 and earlier won't change although new installs will get the new default.

Hello Jon,

I understand the logic of Win+Shift+E. I have not reviewed all of the keys in the list that was distributed for Windows 8 the other day - but are all single Win key options reserved by Windows 8?

I hate having to hold down three keys. Before that wasn't really an issue - I simply just double-clicked on the desktop. Actually I am doing that now in Windows 8 using Classic Shell. classicshell.sourceforge.net/. It gives back the Start menu and the ability to boot directly to the desktop. That being said, I need to learn to work with Windows 8 natively in order to be able to support clients.

Enough rambling. Obviously I can make it Win+E if I want to to. That seems to work.

Thanks,

Wayne

Jon,

Answering part of my own question... I see that Win+E is working because I chose the replace Explorer option.

Wayne

At this stage, the keys it looks like we definitely won't be able to trap in Windows 8 are Win-P, Win-O, Win-U, Win-Ctrl-B, Win-L, Win-Up, Win-Down, Win-Left, Win-Right, Win-Shift-Left and Win-Shift-Right.

Additionally, we may not be able to trap the following, although there are still some things we need to try: Win-C, Win-TAB, Win-I, Win-H, Win-K, Win-Z, Win-X, Win-., Win-Shift-., Win-V, Win-Shift-V, Win-PrtScr.

All other Win key combinations should be trappable.

Another issue i see with Win 8 and DO is:
If i set DO to replace Explorer DO opens up as expected when i press Win + E. If i now try to open Explorer by finding it in "Metro" it won't open anymore. If i try to open Explorer by clicking on it in "Metro" DO launches. I expect Explorer to launch despite that DO has been set to replace explorer.

This happens if DO is closed and it happens if DO is already launched.

If i want to open Explorer i must open DO and uncheck the "Replace Explorer" option in DO's Prefrences.

In Win 7 i could open DO with Win + E and open Explorer from the Start menu without problems.

/Roger

That's a fault in the default Windows 8 configuration rather than a problem with Opus.

The "Explorer" tile that's pre-configured on the Windows 8 start screen does not actually launch Explorer; it launches the Libraries folder in whatever the default file manager is.

It's a bit like if Microsoft had an "Internet Explorer" tile that launched bing.com in the default web browser instead of running iexplorer.exe.

You should be able to correct it by deleting the default tile and adding a new one which runs Explorer.exe instead.