64bit install problem

Hi, I have been trying to install the 64 bit version of Directory Opus and after clicking 'yes' to the terms I just get a message saying 'unable to create directory' and everything stops, am installing in Win 7 64 bit and have tried file compatibility etc., searches on here just keep coming up with zero results so would anyone have any ideas about this.

Are you able to manually create folders under Program Files?

Yes, have just created a 'new folder' and copied a video file into it which plays OK, this is a new install of Win 7 x64 and have installed several other pieces of software prior to this.

Update, was looking at other 64 bit file managers and tried Explorer++ and while using Explorer++ I tried the Directory Opus x64 installer again and it ran!, only thing is it says the certificate has expired, should this happen with a fresh OS and the file newly downloaded, I have tried Directory Opus 32 bit previously but this is a completely clean install of windows.

Are you using an old trial certificate? They only last for 60 days. If you buy a certificate it will work forever.

Don't know about certificate, last time I tried DOpus I don't think I had to do anything about certificates so I just thought the installer put it into 'trial' mode or whatever when it installed it, there are definitely no files about from the last version I tried as this is a clean install, brand new SATA3 drive.

See the very first FAQ: How to get an extended 60-day evaluation

OK thanks, also uninstalled and reinstalled with all default settings and it is running now.

I'm just experiencing the same problem on a Windows XP (Home Edition, 32-bit) System. I purchased the Lite Edition for my parents during your BitsDuJour promotion, transferred the German 32-bit version of DOpus 10.2.0.0 to their computer via TeamViewer and started the installation. I got the same error message as mgb some time ago. I can manually create directories in C:\Programme (which is the German counterpart to C:\Program Files) as well as in C:\Program Files, which also exists, but is almost empty.

Is there anything I may have missed? :confused:

Thanks in advance for any hints.

Cheers,
Jan

I forgot to mention that Service Pack 3 and all Windows updates are applied.

Cheers,
Jan

Tried the FAQ on installation problems? Problems installing Opus

Hi Leo,

thanks for your reply.

Well, yes, I did:

[ul]
[li]no ISBEW.exe[/li]
[li]I can create whatever I want on the desktop; there's no old DOpus shortcut[/li]
[li]no update / upgrade - DOpus has never been installed in the system[/li]
[li]renamed the InstallShield folder, no folder ending in 12EF1 in the Installshield Installation Information folder[/li]
[li]emptied the temp folders (user profile / Windows)[/li]
[li]rebooted the system and tried again[/li]
[li]checked that the installer isn't corrupt[/li][/ul]
I wasn't able to call %TEMP% via Start > run, though - maybe the problem lies there. In the environment variables, %USERPROFILE% is used (e.g. for setting the temp folders), and it obviously works, but when calling %TEMP%, PowerDesk opens the desktop instead. Should I deinstall PowerDesk first? But since other installations worked without a problem, I'd find it strange if PowerDesk (that's not running while trying to install DOpus) intervened here.

Cheers,
Jan

Is %temp% actually defined and the dir it points to there? It'd be a problem if it isn't.

PowerDesk being installed wouldn't make a difference to my knowledge.

If you open a command prompt (cmd.exe) and type echo %temp% it will print the value of the variable if it's set, and you can then check that the folder exists.

Sorry for the late reply - I was quite busy the last two days.

I works correctly, so the problem has a different cause. Obviously PowerDesk isn't able to process these environment variables, which is why it displayed the desktop contents.

Any other ideas?

Cheers,
Jan

I would use Process Monitor to see what the installer does (in particular any Create Directory attempts that fail) just before the error message appears. That may reveal what's going wrong.

My guess is some folder permissions are messed up somewhere, or something else (e.g. antivirus) is blocking creation of a directory.

[quote="leo"]I would use Process Monitor to see what the installer does (in particular any Create Directory attempts that fail) just before the error message appears. That may reveal what's going wrong.

My guess is some folder permissions are messed up somewhere, or something else (e.g. antivirus) is blocking creation of a directory.[/quote]
Okay, I'll look into this later this week. I hoped that there'd be a quick and easy solution :wink:, but if this isn't a known issue, I'll have to invest some more time.

Thanks for your help! :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Jan

I just stumbled over this thread again...

I tried once again to install DOpus using TeamViewer, but I couldn't find out what went wrong. When I finally visited my mother, I installed it from a USB stick - and it worked perfectly at the first attempt. I never had any problems using TeamViewer for installing software, but in this case it seems to have interfered with the installation routine.

Well, everything works fine now; I just wanted to give a final feedback. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Jan

Enigma you save my time twice! First in 2014 and now.
TeamViewer was the problem.
Quite exotic...