80-100% CPU utilization!?

As soon as I open a folder with a couple of thousand files, Opus (8.1.05) uses 80-100% of my CPU. The file type in the folder is irrelevant.

It is avoided by removing the description column, but is independent of if descript.ion support is enabled or not (and also happens w/o a descript.ion file).

With descript.ion support enabled (and a descript.ion file available) all descriptions show up within 1-3 seconds. However, CPU remains high for a very long time (waited for 5 min before closing).

Try using FileMon to see which files are being accessed at the time.

My suspicion would be that it's movie files, since some bad movie codecs do this. I've also seen odd things happen with Office files, even in Explorer.

[quote]
nudel wrote:
My suspicion would be that it's movie files, since some bad movie codecs do this. I've also seen odd things happen with Office files, even in Explorer.[/quote]

No, these are directories with any kind of files; e.g. only images, only text files or even my groupwise mail box folder....

Only thing I can think of is to try disabling your virus checker, if you have one. I could be that Opus opening all the files to generate the Description column is causing the virus checker to do a lot of work inside the Opus process.

I've not noticed this happening with NOD32 nor with Norton Anti-Virus (back when I used it) but it's always possible that it happens with other products, or indeed the two I've mentioned if configured in certain ways.

It's also still worth a look with FileMon just to see what's going on while all that CPU/disk access is happening. Maybe you'll see a certain DLL keeps being accessed which may point to what's going on.

Oh yeah, try disabling all the viewer plugins in case it's one of them. Viewer plugins get a chance to look at all files displayed if the Description column is on, so a bug in one of them could cause the problem.