9.0.0.7 mp3 plugin Displaying Genre incorectly

The mp3 plugin is displaying Genre wrongly in almost all files when viewed in the viewer pane since just updating to 9.0.0.7. This is what I've noticed so far:

"Rock" has become "(17)"
"Other" has become "(12)"
"Progressive Rock" has become "(92)"
"Jazz" has become "(8)"
"Folk-Rock" has become "(81)"
"Blues" has become "(0)"
"Psychedelic Rock" has become "(93)"
"Bluegrass" has become "(89)"
"New Age" has become "(10)"
"Folk" has become "(80)" on most, but, retains "Folk" on some
"Meditative" has become "(45)"
"Trance" has become "(31)"
"Ethnic" has become "(48)"
"Symphonic Rock" has become "(94)"
"Musical" has become "(77)"
"Ambient" has become "(26)"

Correct Genre is showing in mp3 file Properties. Attempting to correct Genre in Properties has no effect in viewer pane whether single file is selected or multiple files. Deleting Genre in file Properties changes Genre in Viewer Pane to "Other" whether single or multiple files selected. If I then insert correct Genre in file's Properties it generates the bracketed number again whether single or multiple files selected.

Would probably help to post a copy (or send to GPSoft) of a smal sample mp3 file that has this problem, and possibly info about the application that wrote the tag and any 'configuration' details about the app...

Attached is smallest mp3 file I have, Properties showed Genre as "Other" which showed as "(12)" in viewer pane, but, I just changed it to "Folk" in Properties and it is now showing as "(80)" in viewer pane. It was ripped and converted using Real Player and showed correctly up until 9.0.0.7. It is the same mp3 file I attached in this thread [url]DOpus mp3 Tags v Foobar2000 Tags and Replaygain] which is now no longer there.

Strangely, although it seems to have happened to almost all mp3 files I'm finding that occasionally there would be one mp3 file in an album/folder that is viewing correctly in the viewer pane and also the occasional folder of mp3 files that are all showing Genre correctly in viewer pane, yet they've all been converted with Real Player and there seems to be no logic to the files that do show correct Genre in viewer pane, these are in the minority though.
03 - The Son of Noah's Brother.zip (436 KB)

Update on this:

I'm very puzzled now. Yesterday I suddenly found that I could batch add/edit Genre tags and they would appear in the Viewer Pane correctly with no bracketed number code. Today I attempted to do the same thing and although Genre displays correctly in the columns in the directory it is back to generating bracketed number code in the Genre field of the viewer pane. Why should it work correctly on one day, but, fail on all other days?

With ID3v2 tags there are two ways to specify a genre. Either the name of it itself can be written as a string, or a number can be written (also as a string) which means the name should be looked up from the list of genres that ID3v1 supported.

I'm guessing that when it works for you you have used something which wrote the genre name, rather than a look-up number, and when it doesn't work you've used something that wrote a number. Even if you're always using the same program, it might write a number if the genre matches one of the ID3v1 genres and write the string if it doesn't.

It looks like the new version of the MP3 tag editor plugin for Opus isn't noticing and converting the numeric genre strings and just displays them as-is instead. I've filed a bug report with GPSoft but it's just a display issue as far as I can tell so it shouldn't mess up your tags or anything like that.

I've attached a new version of the MP3 plugin which should solve this problem - please report back how you go with it.
mp3.zip (75.8 KB)

Thanks Jon,

Everything seems to be displaying correctly now. It's also fixed the bulk altering of Genre or any other field in Properties when viewed in the Viewer Pane. I had also noticed that when I was bulk editing Property fields with Foobar2000 that although it was successful and changes showed in the viewer pane, the date field had about the first dozen characters of the Album Title added to it, but, the updated mp3 plug in seems to have fixed that little issue too

Many thanks, it was taking me a long time to correct display file by file :slight_smile: