Access-based enumeration not respected by Opus 10

Jon,

Yes, it still works with UNC paths just as it did before. There's been no apparent change regarding mapped drives.

If it would be in any way helpful, we could do an online meeting.

Jason

If you go to one of your mapped drives, select any file or folder, and run the command Clipboard COPYNAMES=unc (you can run it by typing > followed by the command), does the string in the clipboard correctly have the resolved UNC path in it?

Yes, the UNC path is correct.

Here's a sanitized version of what was returned when I just did that using Opus 11.12.2 (from a user account and network share combination subject to ABE, of course):

\fileserver\sharename\WORKL_M\CWORKLOG.EXE

In case it's in any way relevant, the drive letter we're using in this case is E.

Jason

OK, thanks for that. We'll investigate further.

No problem...as I mentioned, if it would be helpful I can do an online meeting from a computer on my network.

Jason

Please try the 11.12.3 beta and let us know if it resolves the issue.

Jon,

11.12.3 (beta) seems to resolve the problem with ABE and mapped drives. Thanks!!!

Jason

No problems here as well with v11.12.3 on a corporate network with various network targets (unix/linux/windows) and accessing these by UNC or mapped to local driveletters. Good! o)

Btw, I always wanted to remove that registry key, influencing ABE behaviour in the past. I did not (forgot so), but I guess it has no affect with a current DO version anymore, or does it still?

Unless you have some reason not to, I would remove it.

Since it seems to me that the problems with Opus 11.x and network shares with Access Based Enumeration have been addressed for both mapped drives and UNC access my only remaining question about this would be when the next non-beta release is expected so I can plan to upgrade my users at that time.

Thanks for your efforts to make this change to Directory Opus. It helps me out a lot.

Jason

@leo
I would too, but I can't remember the regkey. o)
I flipped all pages of this thread to find it, so I guess regarding posts were removed at some point?

But wait, you sound like it still may an affect on something, is that the case?

[quote="tbone"]I would too, but I can't remember the regkey. o)
I flipped all pages of this thread to find it, so I guess regarding posts were removed at some point?[/quote]
I don't think it was ever mentioned in this thread, as it was never needed by anyone in it.

It's documented in the 11.8.2 release notes and the Accessing network folders slow thread that it was created to help diagnose.

I don't know. I recommend deleting the registry value, so your system is normal, because the setting should no longer be needed on your system, whether it still does anything or not. There's no reason to keep it.

Most probably in a couple of weeks I'd say, depending on any other issues that may crop up.

Thanks for your help getting it working!

For a collegue of mine a similar or exactly this topic does not seem to be resolved.
The folders marked red in the filedisplay do not appear in the tree:

This happens for a share on a server with ABE enabled, but it happened for a local drive and also for the "Computer" tree-branch once at least (both locations showed just a single childitem/subfolder). After some clicks here and there, the folders suddenly popped up also in the tree.

I've added "NetworkABE"=0 to the registry on his computer, a quick test displayed all folders in the tree again, which may just be coincidental.

The ABE support can only prevent things being displayed if access is denied to them. It won't make things which you have access to appear only when it's working; it does the opposite.

Are those folders he has access to? If so, this is unrelated to ABE.

Is the tree branch fully expanded?

What happens in Explorer?

Yep, I think I'm aware of what ABE is about.

Yes, he has access.

Can a tree branch be partially expanded? Maybe that's a feature of DO/Windows I'm currently not aware of. I don't see these things happen on my DO config at least, but same network and same DO version here. I looked through the "Folder Tree" prefs, didn't come across an option that may affect expanding of items. What we did was just clicking the little arrow to expand the item. He still uses a somewhat unchanged/default DO config btw., just in case this can be config-dependent.

Explorer shows all the folders.

I thought this is related to ABE, not because there were all folders shown in the filedisplay, but because there were some of them missing in the folder tree. If you don't think it has something to do with ABE, then I'm sorry for posting here. Maybe you like to split the thread into a new topic - I'm prepared. o)

The options that affect tree expansion are here:

Turning on Fully populate contents is probably what you need.

Most probably in a couple of weeks I'd say, depending on any other issues that may crop up.

Thanks for your help getting it working![/quote]

Thanks, I look forward to a standard release with the fix in it. As ever, thanks for the work on this issue and Opus in general.

Jason