Access (ext.) drives via drivelabel instead of driveletter

I have a button set up as a menu and the only other button in that menu shows me all currently available drives by drive letter and label.
Drives that are not ready (available) are not shown in the list. Below is the button command I use:

[code]Go OPENINDEST DRIVEBUTTONS=cdrom,removable,fixed,labels,multifunc,hideempty

// Note the multifunc argument determines if the drive will
// open in left or right or a new lister pane.[/code]

I don't believe the Windows operating system permits you to access drives by their labels, as opposed to the letters. For one thing, drive labels are not unique.

I have this too, but that's not what I asked for. An alias also requieres a driveletter, so it's useless here.

No, it's possible. I have several tools which can do that (for example SynBackSE can access labels for syncing to removable drives). Same name (label) should not be the problem here.

I filled out a feature request.

Your other software may be displaying the drive labels, but God help you if it actually accessing the drives by them. You cannot reliably access a drive a by label alone, since labels are not unique. A user could have a copy of the same CD inserted into two drives. The labels of each CD drive become the that of the inserted CD media. I can also manually label two hard drive partitions with exactly the same name in Windows. (Underneath all of this, there are different Volume IDs and mount point identifiers that uniquely identify the drives.) But creating a syntax to access drives by volume label alone is simply irresponsible coding practice, with very poor bounds checking, since the drive labels may not always be unique. It would be like organizing tax records by first name only.

Please, if you don't know better or don't want to believe it, download the demo of SyncBackSE, create a profile for an SD-Card or something like that and use the label of a drive. After that change the driveletter (not thge label) to what you want and you will see, it works. Or just read the manual.

It's possible and I don't want to discuss about it anymore.

@kenalcock: Sure, you need to use unique labels to get it work and I'm used to do so since Amiga (on DO4 it was possible :wink:)!

Just want to remind (over 4 years, wow, thought requested last year)! Greg liked the idea!

It´s not a bad idea. When handling several USB drives it often happens, that some specific drive letters change unintentionally,
causing some shortcuts to the USB paths to fail. The same happens with SDHC cards in my card reader sometimes. :thumbsup:

We'll see what we can do in the next beta :slight_smile:

Yes :thumbsup:

It would be good, if we could assign several labels to a drive, something like [b]ASSIGN{Transcend,Corsair,Sandisk} TO N:[/b].

Don't forget my Launch via Label script lets you do some of this already.

Ah, thanks. Is there a way to just assign the USB drive to a drive letter, without having to launch any
specific application? Mostly i don´t know beforehand, what exactly i´m going to use on that USB,
because it has lots of stuff on it, as may "portable office".

In computer managment you can change the driveletter - best is using a letter at the middle or end of alphabet (depending on how much devices you have, I use X: for my ext. HD) because Windows will always assign the next free letter (except A and :sunglasses: to a new device independent if it was used by another before.

Lol, :sunglasses: is "B )"

I created an Opus User command to handle running applications from a USB drive (that is when Opus is running from the USB drive). If that is something you are interested in, see the link below.

USBProgram - User Command to run programs from USB

If you want a particular USB device (HDD, USB Stick, memory card etc) to always use the same drive letter, have a look at USBDLM (http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html) - I've been using it for a while without issue. It does require some configuration (plenty of examples supplied) and runs as a Service so is always available from start-up.

Why so complicated? Just assign a letter middle or end of alpahbet, Win will remember (even when used by another drive - if not plugged-in same time).

But I think we're going off-topic here... I suggested accessing the drive by label, not how to change letter best.

The most recent beta (10.0.5.1) implements a solution for this.