Acrobat link with Opus icon

As far as I can see right now, only Adobe Acrobat link icon changed to Opus.

Any suggestion as to how to get it back?
The acrobat.exe still has the usual icon.

thanks

=

Maybe resetting icon cache will fix it. Run following in command line (or a DO button):

Taskkill /f /IM Explorer.exe Delete "%LOCALAPPDATA%\IconCache.db" QUIET Explorer.exe
PS: Leo doesn't like to kill explorer.exe (taskbar will shortly disappear!), but it works. :slight_smile:

Better and easier: Clear Icon Cache

In knew you would link your solution :slight_smile:.

Did never work for me (tried 1-2 times in the past).

Thank you both for the help.
@sasa: hm... I am sorry, I did not do the thing you suggested.
Reason is that I wasn't sure what it would be doing really.
Maybe it was okay, maybe the I would get unpredictable effects, I did not, so, I would use that as a last resort,
but first went on to look whether other solutions were available.The How to Geek solution didn't work.
I downloaded a tool "Thumbnail & Icon Cache Rebuilder for Windows 10" from the Windows Club, no changes after rebooting.

Note: strangely enough, the only icon involved/had an issue was the one of Adobe Acrobat. All other icons were okay.
So, maybe I should just leave it like that, considering all the efforts to solve this.

As a last thing I checked the properties of the link and moved over to the \StartMenu folder
C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\StartMenu

Comparing the 'Properties' of start menu Acrobat link with the others residing there, I noticed that
the properties of Acrobat (only Acrobat) could not be edited and buttons were grayed out.

=

Weirdly enough, all applications .ico files seem to be stored in a SnagIt subfolder
C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Local\TechSmith\Snagit\DataStore\AppIcons
Some 300 files.

And they all had the "Opus" (open with) button.

I took the latest Acrobat ico, changed open with from Opus to Acrobat (I know, it is not correct,
but I wouldn't know what else to do) and now the Acrobat entry in the startmenu indeed shows the
Acrobat button.

Maybe, one of these days I'll do a fresh Windows install and things are then re-set to how they should be :slight_smile:

@leo, considering the weird location of my .ico files and the matter being solved for the timebeing
though likely not in the right way, I'll use your solution should it come up again.

last thing:
AFAIK any .ico files are stored in a folder named after the application(??)
like: C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default
and the 'Open with' reads 'Unknown application'.
Correct?

Anyway, thanks again.

=

My solution simply kills explorer.exe to be able to delete thumbnailcache (because its used by explorer) and then start explorer again. Nothing else.

@Sasa
Okay, I gave it a try but the results are/were:

[code]Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]
(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Taskkill /f /IM Explorer.exe
SUCCESS: The process "explorer.exe" with PID 5732 has been terminated.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Delete "%LOCALAPPDATA%\IconCache.db" QUIET
'Delete' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Explorer.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32>[/code]

windows cmd as admin
and both cmd's (normal and as admin) from within Opus.

tried 'Del' instead

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Del "%LOCALAPPDATA%\IconCache.db" QUIET Could Not Find C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Local\IconCache.db Could Not Find C:\WINDOWS\system32\QUIET

as for Leo's tool

=

When running taskmgr, the only app that was running, was the taskmanager.
All others were processes I guess.
I closed all active applications before all above.

Ah, sorry, I use this in a DO-button, because a broken iconcache is nothing unusal and so I'm able to repair it quickly at customers PC's. That's why I used "delete".

When you go into "%LOCALAPPDATA%" you see "IconCache.db". This file is responsible for showing icons in startmenu etc. and needs to be rebuild by simply deleting it. But it's used by Explorer.exe, so we need to unlock it by killing the exe. After deletion we restart explorer again and icons normally are fixed (you mostly see a blank icon, but 1-2 times I saw a wrong icon, so maybe this fixes your issue).

As said, Leo's tool never worked for me, that's why I go the "hard" way (which never fails).

No problem...

BTW when I enter %LOCALAPPDATA% in the box at the start menu, but only two folders are displayed, viz
folder Local -> C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Local <- containing the iconcache.db file
Folder LocalLow -> C:\Users\MyName\AppData\LocalLow

hmm...
just discovered, the file is 'hidden'
reason why any 'DIR' cmd wouldn't work
I removed the 'H'-attribute
now the file shows up after a DIR

then

• Opus->Tools->Command Prompt Admin ("red backgroud")
  • Taskkill /f /IM Explorer.exe
  • Del iconcache.db (now file was deleted)
  • Explorer.exe

now the file is gone.

Let's see.

Thanks !