Adding Cascading Folder Content to your context menus

Thanks! I saw that kind of cascading in the Explorer Breadcrumbs plugin, and have been trying to duplicate in in DOpus. Makes for a fast drill down.

Yeah I'd additionally like to see auto expanding while retaining the ability to open a folder in the current tab...or new tab\lister...from the context menu.

I also concur with IamZed about enhanced breadcrumbs where folder's only auto expand...tho some may prefer files also showing here.

As is I have a hard time staying strictly in DOpus, as I'm able to use these features when using Explorer with the following shell extensions: FastFolders, Folder Pilot

Nether of which play nicely with DOpus...dang it I want it all. :wink:

Update
Okay I read through some other posts and sort of have a working solution...not near as nice as FastFolders...but more usable...I feel.

Fast Files |
Contents List | Go FOLDERCONTENT
Fast Folders |
Folder List | Go FOLDERCONTENT=nofiles,showempty

1 Like

[quote="steje"]
FWIW, when I get a chance I'll file a feature request to see if GPSoft can possibly make it so that hovering over the folder name will still expand the sub-folder contents... Personally, I don't like having to click on each arrow to continue browsing into the sub-folders, but still (like you) want to be able to actually click a folder name in order to load it into the lister.[/quote]

I agree. I like to navigate to each subfolder but also would like to LC on the folder and have it appear. Kinda both ways.

Any way to have the selected folder appear in a new tab?

[quote="nate_dawg"][quote="steje"]
FWIW, when I get a chance I'll file a feature request to see if GPSoft can possibly make it so that hovering over the folder name will still expand the sub-folder contents... Personally, I don't like having to click on each arrow to continue browsing into the sub-folders, but still (like you) want to be able to actually click a folder name in order to load it into the lister.[/quote]

I agree. I like to navigate to each subfolder but also would like to LC on the folder and have it appear. Kinda both ways.

Any way to have the selected folder appear in a new tab?[/quote]

I agree, the ability to left click a folder and have that pop up in a tab or new lister (left click could pop open the folder in a tab and middle/right click could open a new lister) while keeping the ability to just hover over a folder and open its contents would be outstanding!

Great feature nonetheless, thanks for sharing!

Hi,

i just rearranged the context menu for folders, setting the "Go Foldercontent" browsing item to the bottom, for faster access. The navigation works good so far, but one detail should be a bit different, imo:

After accessing a folder it would be much better if a "left-arrow" press would close the context menu, without having to hit "esc". This would preferably require using the other hand, specially when looking through lots of folders. I think, setting the "left-arrow" to act as an "esc" while having a context menu open would speed up this type of browsing a lot.

Seems like a good idea, but you should send it to GPSoftware rather than the forum for sharing buttons & toolbars, else the idea is likely to be missed/lost by the people who can make it happen.

done! :slight_smile:

Is that possible to make a button with FOLDERCONTENT function? I have many folder buttons on one toolbar and click one of them will open assigned folder. After saw this post I was wondering is it possible to make these folder button with FOLDERCONTENT function? Thanks in advance.

Yes, just add a new Menu to the toolbar and put the FOLDERCONTENT button inside of it. The effect will be a button on the toolbar which opens the folder content list.

Thanks Leo. It's working :slight_smile: It will be more great if the favorite function can integrating foldercontent in future released.

Did GPSoft make any switches for the click/hover quirk?

I just set this up and it's brilliant, except for the constant clicking to expand folders. Right now i have added 2 context menus, one with:

Go FOLDERCONTENT=button

and the other just:

Go FOLDERCONTENT

This way if i'm just exploring folder structures i can use the faster hover menu, but if i know i need to navigate to an intermediary location i can use the slow click version.

The same behavior occurs with the Explorer Button i'm using so getting this behavior enhanced would be really cool.

Not yet. FWIW it's still on the to-do list and hasn't been rejected or anything; it's just there's a lot of other stuff on the list too. (I'd like to see it too.)

Not yet. FWIW it's still on the to-do list and hasn't been rejected or anything; it's just there's a lot of other stuff on the list too. (I'd like to see it too.)[/quote]

Ok excellent thanks leo that's fair enough, it's more one of those "that would be cool" features rather than a crash/bug/broken issue. Opus provides one or two (understatement of the year) other ways to navigate in the mean time :smiley:

If you enable the Go FOLDERCONTENT menu with an icon and install Xentient thumbnails freeware, image folders show thumbnails of all the images in a folder, which is really cool (though folders with dozens of large images in can hang the menu somewhat!)

I can't get Go FolderContent=nofiles to work.

I have to remove the no files command or it breaks it.

[quote="knightcrawler"]I can't get Go FolderContent=nofiles to work.

I have to remove the no files command or it breaks it.[/quote]

I thought the same at first, but I think it actually does work properly.

By default Go FOLDERCONTENT only shows folders which contain files. If you filter out all files then you've made all the folders empty, so they too will be filtered out. You need to also add showempty. For example:

Go FolderContent=nofiles,showempty PATH="C:"

Hi,
I tried to use FastFolders with Dopus unsuccesfully and I use the command Go FOLDERCONTENT with the same issues. Or you can cascade automatically, but you cannot click on a folder to open it, or you must click on an arrow at each sub menu and you can open a folder in a lister. Does anybody find a solution since the last message in this, topic?
Then, why the context menu with the drive letters is the windows context menu (not the Dopus one which appears with the right click on any folders), in which FastFolders is working well? But it's only with the drive letter, C:, D:, E: etc... Does somedy know why?

This is as close as I could get to a feature from Windows Classic Start Menu. With XP/Vista (probably earlier) Classic Start Menu if you put the "My Computer" Icon at the top then you could cascade through your entire computer without clicking anything.

The following code is a nested menu button leading to foldercontent listings of C: D: and E:
It would be nice to just be able to use "Go /mycomputer foldercontent" instead of hard coding the individual buttons for the drives. But when I try that, it is buggy and makes the button disappear altogether!

It would be even nicer if this was incorporated into the Drive Button Toolbar and the breadcrumb function as well. Actually, clicking a folder should use the "mutlifunc" feature of drive buttons too to be able to open the folder in the left or right side with LMB and RMB.

Also, not being able to single-click a folder to open when using it in the non-button state is annoying. If this was fixed, one could easily get to any file on the computer with just two button presses (one to start the cascade and one to select).

<?xml version="1.0"?> <button backcol="none" display="both" label_pos="right" textcol="none" type="menu"> <label>Computer</label> <icon1>#drivebuttons2</icon1> <button backcol="none" display="label" label_pos="right" textcol="none" type="menu"> <label>C:</label> <icon1>#newmenu</icon1> <button backcol="none" display="label" label_pos="right" textcol="none"> <label>New Button</label> <icon1>#newcommand</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>Go C: foldercontent=showhidden,showempty</instruction> </function> </button> </button> <button backcol="none" display="label" label_pos="right" textcol="none" type="menu"> <label>D:</label> <icon1>#newmenu</icon1> <button backcol="none" display="label" label_pos="right" textcol="none"> <label>New Button</label> <icon1>#newcommand</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>Go D: foldercontent=showhidden,showempty</instruction> </function> </button> </button> <button backcol="none" display="label" label_pos="right" textcol="none" type="menu"> <label>E:</label> <icon1>#newmenu</icon1> <button backcol="none" display="label" label_pos="right" textcol="none"> <label>New Button</label> <icon1>#newcommand</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>Go E: foldercontent=showhidden,showempty</instruction> </function> </button> </button> </button>

great one more thing i now know :slight_smile:thank you :slight_smile:

::gasp:: this is an amazing feature!!!

its seems this topic was forgotten about:

Revive this topic? The last reply to this topic was almost 7 years ago. Your reply will bump the topic to the top of its list and notify anyone previously involved in the conversation.

i cant see how. this can be so useful, sometime i im all keyboard navigation. sometimes i dont want to type. lol. this will come in handy!

sorry to dig this up again, thou some noobs might also find use in this

and question...

is there a way to get the icons of folders and\or files to load along the left edge??

using these these commands here... and for some reason this sub-menu technique keeps pulling in the command above it. ... if i put the vlc option about the submenu. that will end up in the submenu. ... which i will do cause i have that shut off at the shell level anyway.