Adding the CheckSum (MD5, SHA-1, ...) to the File Context Me

Dear All,

I am running Directory Opus on several machines; on some, the file context menu has an entry that enables me to compute the MD5 / SHA-1 values for that file - on others, it's not there.

While I was able to find a quick way to add the checksums to the file display's COLUMNS (which also does not allow me to copy that value ...), I totally failed so far to add it to the context menu ...

Could you please advise?

Many thanks in advance,

Eric

What happens when you use the menu item you see on some of the machines? Is it actually part of Opus, or a third-party utility that the menu launches?

Hi Leo,

Thanks for the fast reply.

I don't actually know what the origin of the entry is (is there any way to check?): whenever I right-click a file, among the various other items, I also have a "Checksum" entry, which does the trick quite nicely for MD5 & SHA-1 (see also the couple of screen captures I attached).

At any rate: Directory Opus KNOWS how to compute checksums - so how can I simply add this ability to the context menu?

Thanks again for your help,

Eric

That tool isn't part of Opus, so to get it on the other machines you'd just need to install whatever it is on them.

If you want the command to make Opus calculate checksums, it's GetSizes MD5 or GetSizes SHA, which can be put into the context menu via Settings > File Types. Those will display the checksums as columns.

Alternatively, you can make Opus show the checksums in a dialog box, similar to the tool in your screenshot, (and compare it to a checksum in the clipboard too) by using the 'HashCompare' Script Command Steje posted to the forum. That could also be put on the context menu, or run via a toolbar button or hotkey, as desired.

Hello Leo,

It cannot be said that you are not a fast replier :wink:

Judging by the icon in the Taskbar (when the checksum box is displayed), it seems to be part of the "Smart File Advisor", that got installed along with Beyond Compare (seems it can be also downloaded and installed on its own, from < filefacts.net/sfa.php >).

Pity however that one has to go so far away, when the basic code is already included in the product (Opus, that is). What about just integrating this option in the code of a future release (without 3rd party software or scripts)?

Have a great time,

Eric

Adding "GetSizes MD5" to a context menu is very straightforward. You don't have to code anything. :slight_smile: Shout if you need more detailed steps.

Dear Leo,

While adding the command might be straightforward, the result of using it -- according to your own saying -- is getting the value in a column (with no means of actually USING that value in any other way than by optically reading it).

My meaning is to get the result in a "box", from where I should be able to mark it for copying the value for further use.

Still, if I misunderstood you, kindly let me stand corrected.

Thanks again,

Eric

You can use Edit > Copy Other > MD5 Checksums and similar if you want Opus to put the checksums into the clipboard. That's in the default config.

Now that's nice :slight_smile:

Never knew it's there ...

THANKS!

And have a GREAT Weekend!

Thanks for the plug Leo :slight_smile:...