Adding Titles and Information Tips to File Paths

Does Directory Opus allow for users to add titles and information tips to file paths? Let me explain briefly. Imagine the following directory: C:\Users\[USER]\Documents\Companion Animals. Under this directory, an animal lover could have several sub-folders identifying the type of animals that he or she has. For example: dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, hampsters, snakes, alligators, raccoons. Under the folder, C:\Users\[USER]\Documents\Companion Animals, I want to add a very brief title to identify the listing of the type of animal. Such a title could be: "Animal Type." Then, I would like to have either a sub-title or a floating bubble that would state something like, "Click to select animal type." I would want to do this for every additional sub- sub-folder as well. For example, under each individual animal type, I might want to further define my file path according to breeds. So under dogs, for instance, I would have additional sub-folders identifying dog breeds and I would want another title to announce, "Breeds," as well another descriptive bubble that would instruct the user to "Click to select breed." Please help.

Write script, for example, using Alternate Data Stream.

As long as the drive is NTFS, and not going through cloud storage or archives that remove metadata, you could use the built-in file/folder Descriptions to store some text against each folder.

You could then configure the pop-up infotip to display the same information when hovering over a folder. Or display it in a column.

Hi and thank you for answering. What do you mean by, “ built-in file/folder Descriptions”? Are you referring to the metadata that Windows users put in the properties of files and the infotip variable of the desktop.ini? If that is what you are referring to, it is, unfortunately, not the information that I seek. First of all the infotip would only work when hovering on the enclosing folder, but not when looking at its contents in a new window. I am literally looking for a title somewhere prominent in the window and a dynamic description somewhere in the window, but clearly occupying a secondary position to the title. That is why I imagined a floating bubble for the description and something more solid for the title.

The Set Description command within Opus. On the default toolbars, it's in the menu attached to the Properties button, near the right.

You could use scripting to put it in the window title, the tab title, or even a floating window somewhere.

Come to think of it, don’t Directory Opus windows already have titles??? Kind of like the way the name of a file appears at the left top of a Microsoft Word document, which, incidentally, you can change using a macro, if I am not mistaken.

Yes, see my parallel reply just before yours, if you missed it.

A third option is to put the extra information into a background image tied to each folder, which could appear in the bottom right (for example).