Advanced Selection from Exel Sheet

I need a very important feature to refine my workflow..

I need to do an advanced selection with more than the 260 character limit...
Example: Name Match (223081|170449|194322|223359)

It is possible to use the advanced selection with an exel sheet?
(xls csv or xlsm)

Maybe Opus is able to read each cell from the Filename column (highlighted in blue) and the select each *###########.jpg files in the lister.
This is to extract the jpg relative to the exel sheet and then move that selection to the famous incremented folders :slight_smile:

If i need to delete every other cells and only keep one column with the Filename numbers it is no problem in the workflow.

see attached.

Here's a sample list with *.jpg files for testing purposes.

1566_72up_060914_Samples.rar (2.02 MB)

Is anybody have a quick solution?

I'm actually trying to find a way to control files in windows via Exel VBA.

We are willing to pay for a solution that will do theses file operation.

Thanks

Hi Leo.

Is there a way to contact you in private? (this is about a special need and i cannot talk about it in public)

My account doesn't give me permission to view the member list or profiles.

Do you have to repeat this operation regularly? And what's exactly to be done to the jpgs, move them up a single directory and that's it?
Does it really need to run within DO? It sounds to me as if an external script could get the job done as well. Including DO could even complicate
things, but that's surely a matter of taste and what you're about to do exactly.

The internet btw, is full of tips and snippets do get excel things done in scripting:
visualbasicscript.com/Read-S ... 62195.aspx
unagibay.com/DesktopDefault. ... temid=1813
gregthatcher.com/Papers/VBSc ... cript.aspx
etc..

If you still need help and cannot post here, you're invited to use this address: pub_10 a%t meatme.de

Well yes everyday i have to juggle with many exel sheets that are in relation with hundreds of jpegs files in many location..
Actually i manually sort theses jpgs from location "A" for all these folders ("B,C,D,E,F...) where every exel sheets are waiting the jpgs..

The task is pretty simple but repetitive, long to do and human error is possible...

-At the begining of the pipeline there is one folder containing one Exel sheet plus hundreds of pictures in .jpg (often more than a thousand)
-Every picture have a unique random number example: 5393727364.jpg
-In that Exel sheet there is a column A with the numbers for each jpeg, in others columns there are many informations about theses pictures.
-I need to cut down that list in many Exel file. (72 jpeg images per Exel file)

For example this week i get 1008 jpeg files.
I need 14 Exel files of 72 images each.
I wish Opus being able to read the column A in the Exel sheet and create 14 folders with 72 jpeg images in each of them plus one Exel file in each of these folders.

I made many search and find Exel vba being able to move files.
Maybe it is possible Opus can send or read command from an exel sheet to generate what explained above...

I hope to get a comment from Leo :wink:
Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Trust me, DO won't read and parse excel files, but windows scripting in combination with the widely used excel interface will.
You can make use of that excel interface within DO in version 11, but there's no need to and additionally I would not suggest doing so.

What you need is just a standalone script/application kicked off from DO or Explorer or even command line, which is going to do the excel and folder magic.
As nice as DO is from an interface point of view, it's not needed at all here. That script just needs to know what excel file to operate on and off it goes..

I've done things like that in the past, DO won't make this any simpler or easier. I hope you don't mind this post from a non-Leo person.. o)

Thanks Tbone :slight_smile:

This is good news, since last week i made some steps and now i have a semi-manual solution but if you're able to do an all in one solution i will invest with you :slight_smile:
If your knowledge with Exel VBA are strong you have a good chance to help me.

Please contact me in my mail box:
patoine@hotmail.com

Nice to meet you TBone :slight_smile:

Hello TBone,

Please answer a.s.a.p. before friday will be the best.

Thanks

Unless you have paid TBone a consultancy fee and agreed an SLA, it's rude to demand he writes you custom script code on a deadline. Please don't do that.

Unless you have paid TBone a consultancy fee and agreed an SLA, it's rude to demand he writes you custom script code on a deadline. Please don't do that.[/quote]

Hi Leo, i've never demand to write the script on a deadline!
I simply ask for a confirmation if he is ready to help us soon and sure we will pay for the guy who will help us on this demand. :slight_smile:

Like i write sooner i'm looking for a Dopus solution if possible. (if you have the solution we can go with you :slight_smile:

We have to quickly find somebody that is able to do it.
This is to confirm to our client that we are able to accomplish the task he need.

Then we will give to the programmer the time he need to develop the script for sure...

Pag, you don't seem to be getting anywhere here... have you tried an Excel VBA forum? I'm sure many forum members will be more than willing to take your money.

I'm a bit unclear on what the request actually is here... the most detail you provided was in the reply to tbones first post:

[quote="Pag"]-At the begining of the pipeline there is one folder containing one Exel sheet plus hundreds of pictures in .jpg (often more than a thousand)
-Every picture have a unique random number example: 5393727364.jpg
-In that Exel sheet there is a column A with the numbers for each jpeg, in others columns there are many informations about theses pictures.
-I need to cut down that list in many Exel file. (72 jpeg images per Exel file)[/quote]
...so a few questions:

1. Does the Excel sheet always list ALL of the image files in the folder you want to process?

The reason for the question is: if the Excel sheet will always list all of the files in the folder you want to process, then why should a solution need to look at the Excel sheet at all?

2. Maybe related to the answer to question 1, does the order in which the files need to be moved into sub-folders matter?

Does the Excel sheet perhaps list them in some order that makes a difference? Can you simply take the first 72 files, move them into a folder... the next 72 files... move them into the next sub-folder... etc?

3. You mentioned folder names like B,C,D,E... etc. Was that just an example? If so, is there some naming convention for the folders you want the files to be moved into?

4. You mentioned also wanting a new Excel file in the sub-folder, listing the sub-folders 72 images. You also mentioned deleting the other columns from the original Excel sheet wouldn't be a problem...

Don't you need the data from the other columns in the original Excel sheet to be in the new sheet for the 72 images it's supposed to list? If not, what is the new sheet for, and can it be a simple CSV instead of an actual Excel sheet?

It's just because Opus is my software of choice and i hope to do the task from Opus.

But maybe you're right! and i will seek for a Excel wizard..

I'm already looking for a solution in VBA and i've found some macro and merged two of them.
Now i have a part of the automation i need. I can now move the files that belong to each excel sheet but cannot automatically create each template folder and move each excel sheet and have my files renamed.

Some week ago i created an another thread and asking how it is possible to Copy sequential folder with increment and i got another part of the automated folder creation.

see: Copy sequential folder with increment - #4 by Pag

Hello Steje,

here are answers:

Does the Excel sheet always list ALL of the image files in the folder you want to process? Yes

If the Excel sheet will always list all of the files in the folder you want to process, then why should a solution need to look at the Excel sheet at all? The idea is the ability to automatically cut down the main Excel sheet in many smaller Excel list (72 jpeg each) then duplicate a template folder with an incremental number and have the files inside have the same name as the folder. And then select the jpegs from the main folder and move them to each incremented folders.

Maybe related to the answer to question 1, does the order in which the files need to be moved into sub-folders matter? Absolutely every list are sorted alphabetically by the locations column and then alphabetically by the last name column.

Does the Excel sheet perhaps list them in some order that makes a difference? Can you simply take the first 72 files, move them into a folder... the next 72 files... move them into the next sub-folder... etc? No this is because the sorting of each jpegs from location and by last name.

You mentioned folder names like B,C,D,E... etc. Was that just an example? If so, is there some naming convention for the folders you want the files to be moved into? Yes that was an example, and the naming convention is based on a specific date and each folders have an incremental number. Inside each folder there is 3 other subfolders and one After Effect project, one exel sheet with the same name as the folder name.
Example:

1566_72up_060914
--->Bitmap {folder}
--->Not_Listed {folder}
--->Output {folder}
--->1566_72up_060914.aep
--->1566_72up_060914.xls

1567_72up_060914
--->Bitmap {folder}
--->Not_Listed {folder}
--->Output {folder}
--->1567_72up_060914.aep
--->1567_72up_060914.xls
etc...

You mentioned also wanting a new Excel file in the sub-folder, listing the sub-folders 72 images. You also mentioned deleting the other columns from the original Excel sheet wouldn't be a problem... I changed my mind about that.

Don't you need the data from the other columns in the original Excel sheet to be in the new sheet for the 72 images it's supposed to list? If not, what is the new sheet for, and can it be a simple CSV instead of an actual Excel sheet? I need all data and column and i need an .xls sheet not a .csv

For more info look at the other tread i made about Copy sequential folder with increment:

Hello,

I finally get something that will do the job, I found many VBA script that i finally put together and have something working the way i need.

It's not perfect and very ergonimic but that do the job.

Thanks all for help and especially Leo who help me generating folders from a template folder.

:slight_smile: