Alternate Data Streams not preserved after copy operation from a Network Folder

I already stated a few posts above that I witness the same problems as the OP. Since my account is linked I would appreciate speeding things up regarding investigating this matter.
Again it seems random when sometimes it copies ADS and sometimes it doesn't but when it doesn't then ALL of the ADS are not copied and when it copies then ALL of them are copied, maybe it would help you to pinpoint to the root cause if this problem.

I haven't been able to reproduce this unfortunately. If you can provide some more information about the type of device, type of ADS, etc, it might help.

Hello, could you please comment on these DOpus prefs:

1. "Copy Metadata"
  2. "Copy all NTFS Metadata".

Do Directory Opus developers recommend a setting for these two options?
What are the disadvantages and advantages of these options?
If the only disadvantage is slightly reduced copy speeds, why are these options not activated by default to ensure that no data is lost?

When looking at the options in Preferences, push F1 or click the (?) icon at the top right of the Preferences window. The manual will open, and describes every option.

On if you want the extra metadata to be copied.

Off if you don't want it to be copied, or don't care either way.

(Note for time travellers: In the future there will be a third "copy, unless it's slower" option. If you're reading this old thread and have that option in your version of Opus, that's the best one to choose if you don't care either way.)

Disadvantage: It adds a per-file overhead. When copying lots of small files, this can be significant.

Advantage: It copies the extra metadata. (This is only an advantage if you care about the extra metadata and want it to be "sticky" and applied to copies of the files.)

Because many people don't care about that data, or don't want it applied to copies of things, and the speed differences can be significant. People also compare Opus copy speeds to other programs without checking or understanding whether each program is doing different work.

1 Like