Annoying Delay When Selecting A File

When I move to a new folder and select a file there is annoying slight delay before the file is highlighted. If I then click on other files in the same folder the delay is not present.

It only happens when clicking on the first file in a newly opened folder. This behaviour doesn't manifest in Explorer or any other file manger that I have used.

What is causing this and can it be fixed?

Which view mode are you using when this happens? Does it happen in other view modes (including Details or Power)?

I'm using Details view. Power view has the same problem. List view doesn't have the problem.

Strange... Does the selection still get delayed if you wait a little while after changing folders? In other words, is it that you can't select something right after changing folders, or is it that the first selection you make, regardless of how long ago you changed folders, will always be delayed?

I presume this is happening on local harddrives? Does it also happen it you make a test directory with just an empty text file in it?

It doesn't matter how long I wait - it's always the first selection regardless.
Yes, it is happening on local hard drives and it still happens with an empty text file.

I wonder if other users are seeing this? Also, I'm running Vista.

Regards.

It gets even more strange. The problem that I have described shows itself in single lister mode as well as dual lister mode. If I have Dual Horizontal it is only the top lister that displays the problem - the bottom lister is fine.

If I have Dual Vertical it is only the left lister that displays the problem - the right hand lister is fine.

In the overall scheme of things, this isn't a huge problem, but there must be something causing it. The delay I am describing is probably about half a second to a second, as best as I can tell.

Are you using single click mode? I have the same problem in single click mode and I made a post about it. The program is waiting to find out if we're gonna double click.

Nudel recommended me to decrease the double click delay on the mouse control panel which helped the situation a bit, but it's still a problem. I'm guessing no one at DOpus development team uses single click mode, or they wouldn't have released DOpus 9 without an option to turn this annoying delay off.

cqdigital, are you using single-click mode?

If so, does everything work okay if you turn it off?

Oh, I guess not as you say it happens in Power mode.

No, I'm not using single click mode. Also, as mentioned above, the problem only manifests in one lister if I'm using dual listers.

I've just been doing some experimenting. I run a XP/Vista dual boot configuration and have only been using DOpus under Vista. I just booted into XP, installed DOpus and imported my saved configuration from the Vista install.

The problem doesn't manifest under XP. If other users aren't seeing the problem under Vista, there is obviously something different about my Vista install i.e. mouse driver etc etc.

I'll keep investigating.

[quote="cqdigital"]I've just been doing some experimenting. I run a XP/Vista dual boot configuration and have only been using DOpus under Vista. I just booted into XP, installed DOpus and imported my saved configuration from the Vista install.

The problem doesn't manifest under XP. If other users aren't seeing the problem under Vista, there is obviously something different about my Vista install i.e. mouse driver etc etc.

I'll keep investigating.[/quote]
It definitely doesn't happen here on Vista. Uninstalling your mouse drivers and using the default Windows drivers would be a good way to discount the drivers.

I've found what's causing it. As I said it's OK under XP but the following is causing the problem under Vista.

If I have even one locked folder tab (which doesn't allow folder changes) the problem manifests. If I remove the locked folder tab, the problem is still there until I restart DOpus then all is OK.

If I have a locked folder tab that allows folder changes - there is no problem.

Can you duplicate this behaviour?

I love the locked folder tabs feature because I can line up several folders that I use often, lock them, and have really fast access to them.

More info. If I select the folder from one of my locked tabs, there is no delay when I click on a file in the lister. If I select a folder from the tree, I experience a delay when I click on one of the files in the lister, but only the first file that I click on. Clicking on subsqent files gives no delay.

If I then select another folder from the tree, I see the delay on the first file that I click on in the lister.

Confirmed! Thanks for taking the time to track this down.

This problem is fixed in Opus 9.0.0.1:[ul][li]...[/li]
[li]Fixed delay on first file selection after a new tab has been opened[/li]
[li]...[/li][/ul]Full list of changes here: [Directory Opus 9.0.0.1)

Thanks again for tracking it down to something we could reproduce.