Another Windows 7 (Windows 8 later on)

thanks very much!

Hi newguy, thanks for your screenshot, I find it beautiful and intriguing.
Would you please share what some of the buttons do? For instance I scratched my head but couldn't guess what the alien does. :slight_smile: Also, what about the bar chart?

Hi newguy,

Wow, can you please explain where the "Take Ownership" item in your screenshot is coming from?

Up to Customize / Context Menus / Lister Context Show / right-clicking to add buttons, I understand the process.
But I've searched the Help file and cannot find a "Take Ownership" command. Is that from a different program? Or is it maybe showing because you have UAC enabled and I have UAC disabled?

Assuming that "Take Ownership" is the same as Properties / Security / Advanced / Owner / Edit / (click on owner name) / check "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" / Apply?
I am very interested because at the moment that is a really long windy way to fix ownership.

Thanks!

There's a takeown.exe command built into Windows; it probably runs that via UAC @admin.

Leo, you always know these cool arcane bits of crucial information. Thank you so much.

Hey playful, thanks for the comments.

Leo is right, that context menu item uses takeown.exe to grab files. Get it here:
askvg.com/add-take-ownership ... ows-vista/
It comes as two .reg files, one to add the option and another to remove it.

As far as the buttons go...

The bar graph is set to GetSizes {file$} for lclick and Set COLUMNSTOGGLE=disksizerel(2) for rclick. It's my handy way to check and compare file sizes.

The "alien" icon is the icon for the music player foobar2000, it opens all files in the active directory in foobar and plays them.

Most buttons are all DOpus functions or external apps that can be used to manipulate files or the file display. The last few buttons are menus that launch apps I use frequently.
Actually a lot of them are menus. The cardboard box for example is for archive files, and lets me manipulate archives using DOpus, WinRAR, 7zip, and Universal Extractor. Handy!

Hi newguy,

Thank you for replying. I love learning about the cool ways that other people use Opus.
This music player button and the others you mention sound like they could be very handy indeed.

Thanks also for sending me a link to that registry patch. After Leo mentioned takeown.exe, I spent some time on Google and ended up with another registry patch that does the same thing (I presume).

This is a super handy feature, and I'm glad to have discovered it thanks to your cool screenshot.
I'll go to the "feature wishlist" thread in Coffeeshop and append "Take Ownership" to the wishlist of standard Opus features, because after all it is very much a File-oriented function (take ownership of this file), smack in the sweet spot of Opus's core mission as a file manager.
Edit: placed the request in a stand-alone thread.

Wishing you a fun weekend!

A

I switched to Windows 8 a few months back, and I decided to slim down my toolbars, taking bits from the default set and making them my own. I'm very happy with the new layout :sunglasses: