ANSI and Unicode

Sorry for the ignorance, but what is the difference between ANSI and Unicode?

I use Win XP by the way.

Thanks for the understanding and possible answer!

If you don't know the difference then you're probably using ANSI where each character is stored in a single byte. Which means ANSI is limited to 256 total characters. And for all practical purposes you really only use the first half of those 256 characters and that first half is also known as ASCII code.

Unicode is stored in a 2 byte block. Which means instead of only having 256 characters to choose from, there are 65,536 possible different characters. With so many characters available unicode is able to support multiple languages.

While I really have no direct need for unicode myself, I use the unicode version of DOpus as I believe all programs are migrating in the unicode direction.

It's got to do with character encoding... The 'ANSI' characters set is made up of single BYTE character codes, where the 'UNICODE' characters sets are made up of double-byte codes. The ANSI character set is made up of primarily English language characters, plus a bunch of symbols. If you're using English only, you can probably just stick with the ANSI opus release...

Thanks for these answers...very helpful indeed!

I use Dutch, German and English on my machine. After reading the posts of you both I guess that I can stick with ANSI.

But the other point is: is the ANSI version lighter in memory consumption than the Unicode version?

Thanks again! :smiley:

[quote]

But the other point is: is the ANSI version lighter in memory consumption than the Unicode version?[/quote]

I believe it is and also perhaps a bit faster than unicode versions.

Ah well :slight_smile:...

[quote]is the ANSI version lighter in memory consumption than the Unicode version?[/quote]Here's a topic of conversation which there seems to be no consensus on yet... some users have reported that the UNICODE version does seem a bit slower, and I could have SWORN I had seen some mention from Greg that a minor speed loss was to be expected... but recently he commented that some beta testers were of the opinion that with WinXP being 'natively UNICODE' in some respects that it should actually run faster than ANSI... so at this point I think it's still up in the air.