Append decript.ion method?

I am trying to append a descript.ion attr with a button. Does anyone know an expedient way to add to (as opposed to overwriting) ?

SetAttr DESCRIPTION="yellow"

replaces the existing

"hot air balloon" with "yellow"

Ideally I want "hot air balloon yellow"

J

I think (without using external tools) the only way would be to abuse the rename scripting system.

hmm.... not what I had hoped for. I have not found an external tool to do it without installling 4Dos. Any suggestions?

I would use a text editor to do this. In my case it would be NoteTab Pro however there are a lot of others out there that would easily do the job as well.

Hmmm, from the recently renamed and resurrected topic by iLias having to do with meta-tagging and such, this stands out as another limitation that would prevent ppl from really heavily using the current description system. If you do LOTS of description updating and rely on it, can you seriously see someone wanting to fuss about with hacking the rename scripting - or (gasp) going 'external' into a text editor to manage their files...?

Thanks for you thoughts John. I think my intent is being lost however....hehe.. I have been playing with a modded SCRAPS button that Leo demonstrated and have had some nice success with it. I am attempting a toolbar one button collections and a simple form of tagging my files. I do not want to edit the file directly. This is a bit lengthy (apologies) and is a toolbar with two buttons that are three button groups. I add it here to perhaps generate some interest in this method. Please note the:

SetAttr DESCRIPTION="Kite" and SetAttr DESCRIPTION="Tool"

If it is a kite AND a KITE TOOL my thing breaks...

Also this is a whole toolbar so if you try needs a .DOP ext.

Any thoughts welcomed......

J

[code]<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<std_type>toolbar</std_type>

Delete From
Delete From
#delete2

delete removecollection

Spacer
#spacer

Set SPACER

#Kite

Send to Kite
Send to Kite
#Kite

@nodeselect
CreateFolder READAUTO=NO NAME="coll://Scrap/Kite"
Copy TO="coll://Scrap/Kite" COPYTOCOLL=member
SetAttr DESCRIPTION="Kite"

Go to Kite
Go to Kite
#Kite

CreateFolder READAUTO=NO NAME="coll://Scrap/Kite"
Go NEWTAB=findexisting PATH="coll://Scrap/Kite"

Clear Kite
Clear Kite
#Kite

Delete QUIET FILE="coll://Scrap/Kite"
CreateFolder READAUTO=no NAME="coll://Scrap/Kite"

#Tool

Send to Tool
Send to Tool
#Tool

@nodeselect
CreateFolder READAUTO=NO NAME="coll://Scrap/Tool"
Copy TO="coll://Scrap/Tool" COPYTOCOLL=member
SetAttr DESCRIPTION="Tool"

Go to Tool
Go to Tool
#Tool

CreateFolder READAUTO=NO NAME="coll://Scrap/Tool"
Go NEWTAB=findexisting PATH="coll://Scrap/Tool"

Clear Tool
Clear Tool
#Tool

<instruction>Delete QUIET FILE=&quot;coll://Scrap/Tool&quot;</instruction>
				<instruction>CreateFolder READAUTO=no NAME=&quot;coll://Scrap/Tool&quot;</instruction>
			</function>
		</button>
	</button>
</buttons>

[/code]