Application icons on toolbars

I have Opus on two machines, both Windows 7. I have application icon on a toolbar on both. One of the applications on both is the text editor NoteTab Pro. Om my main machine, I set things up so that when I highlight a text file in a file listing , and click on the icon for NoteTab, NoteTab opens that file directly.

On my backup system, which I thought was set up the same way, when I highlight a file, and click on the Notetab icon, NoteTab opens, but does not open the file in question, it just opens to a blank screen.

I checked through the properties of that icon in the EDIT window, but I do not see the path to do what I want.

I thought I might have asked this years ago here, so I searched the forum, but could not find any answers there.

Can someone refresh me as to how to do what I want.

Thank

Ron

Your command has to reference the selected file(s) you want to open. e.g. Notepro.exe {f}
If your button is missing the {f} it will just start the NoteTab application.

Regards, AB

Hi AB,

I did not seem to have much luck with your suggestion, so I decided to just try and copy in the advanced window text from the computer where it works OK.

That text is

"C:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab 7\NoteTab.exe" {filepath$}
@nodeselect
@filesonly

That worked fine

Is this topic discussed anywhere in the OPUS help?

Ron

What's in the button on the computer where it doesn't work? Is it the same or something else?

Is it the right path to NoteTab.exe on your other computer? It may be in different places on both computers, especially if one is 32-bit and the other is 64-bit.

Hi Leo,

As I mentioned above, I have it working just fine now. Both computers are Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, fully updated. And the paths for NoteTab are identical in both machines. So copying and pasting worked just fine. If the paths had been different, I would of course have edited the first line, which would seem to be the only line that would change.

I never would have been able to intuitively create the 3 line text string from scratch. Is there a discussion of this in the manual somewhere? I could not find it in help.

Thanks,

Ron

The Creating your own buttons section in the manual is what you want. That includes a page on Passing files to external programs.

(There are also some tutorials here at the forum, if you want a different approach.)

Codes for passing filenames and Command modifier reference are the places to look if you want to understand particular details of what things like {filepath$}, @nodeselect and @filesonly do.

Thanks Leo

The Opus manual is the largest manual for anything I've ever had in the way of software, hardware or anything.

The hard part is knowing what to call something when looking for info on it.

I often cannot "guess" the words used, and that makes it difficult to locate the material..

If the section on "creating your own buttons" was called "Buttons - creating your own", I would have had a fighting chance to spot it. :stuck_out_tongue:

When I index things I always put the key word first in the title of that material

Thanks again -

Ron

[quote="Ron Hirsch"]The Opus manual is the largest manual for anything I've ever had in the way of software, hardware or anything.
The hard part is knowing what to call something when looking for info on it.
I often cannot "guess" the words used, and that makes it difficult to locate the material..[/quote]
Ron, I have also struggled at times to find material in the manual via the index, even when I know for sure that it is there. However, the Search tab works well for me. I gave it a try with your "Buttons" keyword and this is (in part) what came up..

Regards, AB