Arghhh! Dopus deleted all my descript.ion files!

:imp: :cry:

I wanted to move several folders from one drive to another. They all had several descript.ion files in them for more than 100,000 files total.

Because it is very, very slow to move files with descript.ion support enabled, I temporarily disabled descript.ion support.

The descript.ion file is not hidden, so I had expected the file to be moved like a regular file.

Guess what; dopus deletes the descript.ion files when support is disabled!!!!!

WHY??? Why can't dopus treat the descript.ion file like a regular file when descript.ion support is disabled??

Just lost many months of work "thanks" to dopus :cry: :imp: :cry: :imp:

p.s. version 8.2.1.0 U

Ohhh... Viking !!!

So sorry to hear that.
I really haven't replicated this yet, but I'll try it.
Actually, when I move Gargantuan file structures, I copy and then delete the original.

Well, here's a tip that might help.
Don't write anything new to the source !!!!
Try this freeware deleted file recovery tool .
Restoration
This is really a free utility to recover Recycle Bin deleted files.
It works, but Don't install it to the source drive !

After that, I'd suggest , GetDataBack from Runtime.Org
I don't know if the demo will get it, but really is an excellent recovery tool.
Just, If you can, Don't write anything to that drive !
You may be able to recover this !

Let us know, perhaps other people here can help.
But, Try Not To Write Anything To That Drive !

:opusicon: porcupine

[quote="porcupine"]
After that, I'd suggest , GetDataBack from Runtime.Org
I don't know if the demo will get it, but really is an excellent recovery tool.
Just, If you can, Don't write anything to that drive !
You may be able to recover this !

:opusicon: porcupine[/quote]

Note that the files never end up in the recycle bin when you move files. I have Norton Protected Recycle Bin, but not even that helped.

I actually tried GetDataBack right after I noticed that the descript.ion files were gone. Unfortunately, only 3 of the ~15 descript.ion could be recovered, and this was from deleted files in Norton Protected Recycle Bin....!

Not sure why I couldn't recover more files.... I hadn't written more than a couple of kB to the drive when I tried.

I think it may have something to do with the fact that I am only allowing 4 GB in Norton Protected Recycle bin, and I moved about 20GB. Thus many files were removed from the Norton Protected Recycle Bin during the move, and then replaced with new file.

Thus, new files in Norton Protected Recycle bin may have written over the original files? In this scenario Norton hurts more than it helps.. :frowning:

BTW, when searching I, filtered based on *.ion and also *.txt since GetDataBack has built-in filetype recognition (and descript.ion is a text file).

It won't help get your descript.ion files back but for the last year or two I've been running automatic nightly incremental backups of my C-drive to another partition using Acronis True Image. It's really great for those "Oh shi..." moments, or when Firefox crashes and takes out your profile or you install a bad driver update, to be able to go back to yesterday's (or the day before or the day before...) version of a file, folder or the entire system partition.

Which isn't to say "don't complain, you should've backed up", because I agree that Opus shouldn't automatically delete the descript.ion files when you turn off support for them. Asking the user if they want to keep them or clean them up would be the best of both worlds, although just leaving them there would also be fine, I think. People can always do a find and delete if they want to get rid of them.

Hi Viking,
I tried it and the free program Restoration Got It !
But then, I'm really running an old computer.

I then tried it again and I didn't get it.
I'll have to play around with it a bit more.
It might have something to do with what physical drives I'm moving the structure to.

Hmmm.... Norton Protected Recycle Bin sounds as bizzare a creature as a Platypus !
Just a first anguished emotional Arrgggg !!!

opus: porcupine

Edit Note:
I think I forgot to enable the "preserve descriptions of copied files" when I made a test structure on my second attempt.
The deleted description file does end up as a deleted Recycle Bin file on my system.

[quote="porcupine"]
Edit Note:
I think I forgot to enable the "preserve descriptions of copied files" when I made a test structure on my second attempt.
The deleted description file does end up as a deleted Recycle Bin file on my system.[/quote]

Yes, but it will not end up there if you MOVE a folder with the descript.ion in it (and turn of support for descript.ion in dopus).

Yes,
Sorry Viking.
I should have been more concise.
Quite right,

What happens in this instance is that the description file is deleted to the Recycle Bin AND ALSO deleted from the Recycle Bin.
I found that I could recover this description file, at least on my old system, using the freeware program Restoration.

It's a sad lesson that Viking lost so much work !
Was it Norton that killed the recovery of Data ??

In any case, perhaps Nudel's take on this is a good path to follow.

Viking, if I still don't understand, please let me know.
I'm really sad that you lost so much work.

I had the help of a friend who loaned me a copy of Norton System Works 2002.
I installed it and a desktop icon appeared called Norton Protected Recycle Bin.

I repeated my experiment.
My freeware program, Restoration, no longer recovered the missing Description files,
but they were then found in the Norton Protected Recycle Bin.

Hmmm... Spring is only a month away.
Looking forward to some backpacking .

[quote="porcupine"]I had the help of a friend who loaned me a copy of Norton System Works 2002.
I installed it and a desktop icon appeared called Norton Protected Recycle Bin.

I repeated my experiment.
My freeware program, Restoration, no longer recovered the missing Description files,
but they were then found in the Norton Protected Recycle Bin.

Hmmm... Spring is only a month away.
Looking forward to some backpacking .[/quote]
Yes, and now try to move another 20 GB of files... (while Norton Protected recycle bin is set to less than 20 GB).

Viking,

This sounds like a bug with Opus' handling of the descript.ion files. You should report this directly to GPSoftware through the official support mechanism at: gpsoft.com.au/Support.html or have you already done so?

[quote="tanis"]Viking,

This sounds like a bug with Opus' handling of the descript.ion files. You should report this directly to GPSoftware through the official support mechanism at: gpsoft.com.au/Support.html or have you already done so?[/quote]

Yes. It is a bug....
No, I haven't reported it since I didn't find a bug report form...
I guess it the same as the "Tech Support" Request?

Yes, it's the same as "Tech Support Request".

Note that you'll need a valid registration code to use the tech support form.

You do have one, of course?

In the version 9, If you disable the "Support 'descript.ion' file
comments system option", your previous 'descript.ion' files
will "not" be deleted. :slight_smile:
so there is no problem with uninstalling the Dopus, too.
Also THERE IS a backup method for your 'descript.ion' files:
you can search all disk drives, one by one for "descript.ion"
files. In the search result list, select all, and add them to
archive with winrar. you will have a folder in which, every
"descript.ion" file is in the respective folders in the drive.
So if you extract the archive file in that drive, each
"descript.ion" file will dwell in the right folder of the drive!
even if you have missed them. :smiley:
Repeat this for other drives and save a backup file for each drive.

Quite a few things were improved in the last three years. :slight_smile: