Auto De-Select Text When Switching To Another List Window

I am running the newly released 11.10.06 version, ( thanks for all the hard work, you guys!!) and I have a question. I run a vertical dual pane layout. As I work on, say the left side, that lister becomes the active lister, and a text file or folder gets selected in the course of events, which then highlights that item.

When I change over and do some work in the right lister, that then becomes the active lister, and either text or folders get selected on that side. Thing is, the last item I was working on in the left lister is still showing as being selected and highlighted.

Is there a setting somewhere that I can change, so that when I switch sides to do whatever, the other non-active lister de-selects the files or folders?

I had a look through the help file, but after about an hour, I gave it up. I thought that perhaps someone could answer the question for me here.

Thanks!

My bet is you'd find it really inconvenient if your selection was lost just from changing sides. You could do it with a script but I'm not sure it's a good idea.

The selection should look very different on the active and inactive sides, unless Opus has been configured in such a way that it doesn't happen:

You can also add other visual cues about which side is active, like grid lines only on the active side, or changing the background color for the active or inactive side.

[quote="leo"]My bet is you'd find it really inconvenient if your selection was lost just from changing sides. You could do it with a script but I'm not sure it's a good idea.

The selection should look very different on the active and inactive sides, unless Opus has been configured in such a way that it doesn't happen:

You can also add other visual cues about which side is active, like grid lines only on the active side, or changing the background color for the active or inactive side.[/quote]

Hello, leo. There must be at least thousands of users that make use of Dopus each day, and probably each one uses the program a bit different from the others. My point is, for me, it would not be an inconvenience to have my selection in the inactive lister to lose focus. Rather, I would really like for that behavior to happen, hence my question. :slight_smile:

I have set up custom selection colors for unselected and selected text in Prefs. The colors are, of course, the same for both listers. So, the selection on my system does not look very different on the active and inactive sides. Perhaps that is the course of action I should pursue?? But I lack the know-how to get that done......

I have a shared image as a background for my 2 lister windows, so changing the background color is not an option for me. The visual cue I have configured is to have the lister header change color when I am in a particular lister, be it right or left.

So, in the end, I think that I should ask you how to get the selection to look very different on the active and inactive sides. How would I go about configuring that?

Many thanks, as always!!

That option might give you a start, maybe "Use visual styles to draw items.." as well:
Preferences -> Display -> Options -> "Fade selected item colors when file display does not have focus"

[quote="tbone"]That option might give you a start, maybe "Use visual styles to draw items.." as well:
Preferences -> Display -> Options -> "Fade selected item colors when file display does not have focus"[/quote]

That did the trick!! I turned down the Opacity from 50% to 10%, and now when I switch lister windows, the other selected item seems to go to an unselected state. Of course, in reality, it's still selected, but to my eye, it looks like it has deselected. That's close enough for me to live with.

The visual style thing really didn't do too much on my setup.

Thank you very much for heading me in the right direction!!