Auto-size columns not working

Edit all your folder formats (via Preferences, not Tools -> Folder Options), re-save the Default Lister, re-save any layouts you use and check all your styles.

Those are the only places that can set the state of the lock (apart from clicking the lock on the status bar (if it's shown), and assuming you haven't created any buttons/hotkeys which change the lock, of course).

In Preferences:
Under Folders > Folder Formats, I have only one format checked, and that is the Custom. I can't un-check that one, so I double-click to open it, and check the settings. The Auto-size columns is checked in the Display tab.

Under Listers > Options > Default Lister, I have both check boxes cleared.

Under Listers > Styles, I have 4 Styles: Single, Dual, Single Image, and Dual Image. Each have the Format Lock check box cleared for both Left and Right File Display.

I do not use any Layouts.

I did not create any Buttons or hotkeys, but did create a context menu item for All Files and Folders that uses my own EXE that renames files.

In Tools > Folder Options > Display tab, the Auto-size columns option always gets cleared. I set it, then click Save > For All Folders > Replace All. I then click OK.

It still does not auto-resize when I click different folders to check it.

Am I missing something?

[quote="leo"]Edit all your folder formats (via Preferences, not Tools -> Folder Options), re-save the Default Lister, re-save any layouts you use and check all your styles.

Those are the only places that can set the state of the lock (apart from clicking the lock on the status bar (if it's shown), and assuming you haven't created any buttons/hotkeys which change the lock, of course).[/quote]

After fixing the folder options for a window, you need to re-save the Default Lister using Settings -> Set as Default Lister, else every time you open a new window you will still be loading the old Default Lister using its old format.

(Or you can turn on the Ignore folder format of Default Lister checkbox.)

If that doesn't fix the problem in new windows, check all of the folder formats, even the unticked ones. (The unticked ones shouldn't have any effect but it's worth a try in case they do. If they do I'll file a bug report.)

OK, I went through all the unticked folder formats, and only two had the auto-size option turned off. I turned it on.

I then checked the auto-size option again to make sure it was on from the Tools > Folder Options end, and from the Settings > Preferneces end.

Then I saved as the default lister (I had not done that before - too many "save folder format" options gets confusing).

But it still does not auto-size.

There's got to be some weirdness going on. What else can I try?

Why is it that I can get it to auto-size by restoring some previous config, but lose it as soon as I switch views (like from Dual to Single, or vice versa)? It then never comes back. I have to keep restoring to get it back. There must be something going on behind the scene that I can't control and don't know about.

PS: Thanks much for your help on this.

Dick

[quote="leo"]After fixing the folder options for a window, you need to re-save the Default Lister using Settings -> Set as Default Lister, else every time you open a new window you will still be loading the old Default Lister using its old format.

(Or you can turn on the Ignore folder format of Default Lister checkbox.)

If that doesn't fix the problem in new windows, check all of the folder formats, even the unticked ones. (The unticked ones shouldn't have any effect but it's worth a try in case they do. If they do I'll file a bug report.)[/quote]

Do your styles define a format which turns on auto-size?

If selecting a style is the thing that breaks it then it's the style definition which is either turning on the format lock or specifying a format with the auto-size option turned off.

If you want to send me (via PM) an export of your config I'll try and work out what's going on.

No, the Format option is not set on any of them.

PS: How can I paste a screenshot in a msg without having to save it to a file first, then adding an attachment?

[quote="leo"]Do your styles define a format which turns on auto-size?

If selecting a style is the thing that breaks it then it's the style definition which is either turning on the format lock or specifying a format with the auto-size option turned off.[/quote]

Just add it as an attachment and it'll appear below the message. There's no need to add an img link within the message itself.

I had a look at the config you sent and all the problem seems to be is that you have the format lock enabled. This prevents auto-sizing from working as it locks the column widths as specified in Folder Options.

As per Leo's suggestion here ([url=https://resource.dopus.com/t/auto-size-columns-not-working/8141/16]) you just need to turn off the format lock and update your Default Lister settings. If you reimport a new config after having done this you'll need to do the same thing again, as importing a new config (obviously) overwrites any changes you have made to your current config.