Auto update not working?

Hi all,
Currently I run DOpus V8.2.0.2U. I noticed in one of the threads here that there is an update available (8.2.0.4U). I have the weekly update check active but that did not inform there is a new version. Also, manually starting the update check did not reveal the update. Something wrong?
(PS: just dl and installed V8.2.0.4)

Robert

I don't know for sure but 8.2.0.3 and 8.2.0.4 were quite minor updates so it's possible they were put on the download site but not set to trigger automatic updates for people already using 8.2.0.2 or newer.

My guess is GPSoft don't want to annoy people too much by having automatic updates happen too frequently, but still want to put out updates that solve problems experienced by specific users, so they can grab them manually if they need them.

It's obviously an arbitrary call to make and some people will want to always have the latest version while others won't want to be downloading and updating too often, but there's probably nothing to worry about in terms of the auto-update not working.

I remember bringing this up with Greg and being told that they did not necessarily trigger the update notification for minor 'dot' releases... But I think a good number of Opus users (being fans of a "power tool") would indeed be interested in running the latest version. But if I'm wrong, then why not just have those who don't want to know about minor updates just turn off the auto-update notification??? I'm sure 'major' updates (6 to 8, 8 to whatever the next version will be) will be abundantly clear on either the GPsoft webpage and/or the forums here...

just my 1 and 1/2 cents...

Just for clarification. Programs are versioned thus: A.B.C.D. We trigger the update notices for major version changes A or B or C, and for D when we feel there is a useful change or minor update that will benefit all. Note that some changes in D:. such as 2->.3 or D:>.4 can be intermediate, meaning that we're not fully satisfied with a release or that we are still working on some specific element of that version and do not feel there is any real need to all users to download the new version when there will be another in a short period.

As a rule, I don't really believe in triggering updates for every small little change which probably relates to few users. Generally if you have reported a specific anomaly we will have discussed this with you and told those who have reported this that there is a new minor update to address this issue which they can test.

As another rule I prefer to make public updates and notify users only of/for versions which contain a few fixes or a few new features.

However, if you are keen, you are welcome to manually check the web site once a week (say) and download the latest if there is a new version.

FYI: The next official trigger will be for 8.2.1.0

Dr Greg, how about a compromise where you add an option to DOpus to force notification on all updates rather than ones you push out so that us musthavenewestversion freaks :wink: can still be happy? Also, what were the changes in 8.2.0.4?

Thanks.

Damien

I can't remember if I have the Unicode or Ansi version and I want to download the update. Is there some way I can tell which version I have installed? I can't find anything in the applications properties or in the about box.

If you have the Unicode version there will be a U after the version number in the About box.

You can install either version over the top of the other so it doesn't really matter which version you currently have. If you're using NT/2k/XP/2k3 then you might as well install the Unicode version. :slight_smile:

[quote="Damien"]Dr Greg, how about a compromise where you add an option to DOpus to force notification on all updates rather than ones you push out so that us musthavenewestversion freaks :wink: can still be happy? Also, what were the changes in 8.2.0.4?

Thanks.

Damien[/quote]

One thing that I find useful, is a program like Copernic Tracker that watches for changes in web pages so that I don't have to. This tells me of updates of many things, including software. When the page changes, I get an email message.

www.copernic.com

Copernic does many other things as well. I am sure there are others that simply track web page updates.

Wayne

[quote="greg"]Just for clarification. Programs are versioned thus: A.B.C.D. We trigger the update notices for major version changes A or B or C, and for D when we feel there is a useful change or minor update that will benefit all. Note that some changes in D:. such as 2->.3 or D:>.4 can be intermediate, meaning that we're not fully satisfied with a release or that we are still working on some specific element of that version and do not feel there is any real need to all users to download the new version when there will be another in a short period.

As a rule, I don't really believe in triggering updates for every small little change which probably relates to few users. Generally if you have reported a specific anomaly we will have discussed this with you and told those who have reported this that there is a new minor update to address this issue which they can test.

As another rule I prefer to make public updates and notify users only of/for versions which contain a few fixes or a few new features.

However, if you are keen, you are welcome to manually check the web site once a week (say) and download the latest if there is a new version.

FYI: The next official trigger will be for 8.2.1.0[/quote]

If the authors of the software (such as yourself) create updates and publicly add them to the site as an offical release for others shouldn't the choice of having to download and use this version also rest with the current users of the software? Since in the Update Check it states whats is new I am sure people are intelligent enough to warrent if updating is necessary.

I think if you are willing to add these updates to your site for "new" users to download and use you should at least give the option to your existing customers. After all we paid to keep our program up to date and to support you developing this software. I think we should be notified of the choice.

Maybe a good compromise is to have three options in prefs:
[ul][li]Don't Notify[/li]
[li]Notify for Major Updates[/li]
[li]Notify for All Updates[/li][/ul]?

I like Damien and Nudels ideas... Opus is one of the few applications that I take the time to keep my system image 'up to date' for when a new version comes out. I would imagine a goodly number of users who actually pay for Opus are of the sort that always want to have the 'latest' release. It makes me smile when I see a new release of Opus on the website :slight_smile:.

Wow... that could sound kind of lame eh? LOL. I guess GPSoft has spoiled me with all of the nifty features they drop into dot releases here and there... When funds free up, a grateful donation to Greg and Jon's "Shiraz petty cash fund" is next on the list after a long overdue contribution to Nudel's laptop relief fund.