Automatic style swap?

Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible to let DOpus switch/swap styles based on the Content Type of a folder or a saved setting per folder?

What I'd like DOpus to do is switch from "Explorer" style to "Images" style once I enter a folder with Content Type "Images", or when I set that folder to use a certain style (all folders with my photographs incl. subfolders for instance). I can't find a way to do this.. it would be a shame if it's not possible.

[Folder Formats: Quick Guide)

Thanks for the link, but I had already checked that post and couldn't find what I wanted to do.. It does not describe how to automatically apply a style depending on Content Type, unless I'm missing something?

Re-reading your initial post you seem to want to automatically change to a particular style when content types are detected. You can only change to a style manually afaik.

I think you're looking at the problem from the wrong perspective - instead of trying to get the style to change when you navigate to a folder - do the opposite - create a new style which automatically navigates to the folders in question and sets everything up how you want it. There's no limit to the number of styles you create. The default style tabs are just examples...

Further Info on Content Type detection:

Content Types are explained in that link. The configuration for Folder Formats is similar no matter what type you're configuring - Folder Formats, Content Type Formats, Default Formats or Favorite Formats.

Go to Preferences -> Folders -> Folder Formats and have a look at the preset Content Type formats. Here you can make any adjustments you might want.

You also need to make sure that Preferences -> Folders -> Options -> Enable Folder Content Type detection for ... is turned on (it is by default).

That's correct.

:frowning:

I'd rather not setup or change the setup of styles all the time (folders with photos/images come and go). I'd really like it to go automatically, or possible to setup with a click on new folders I'd like to open in a certain style by default.

The downside of your suggestion is also that, for example, if you have 20 folders where you'd like to have this effect, everytime you click on that style tab, 20 folders have to open while you might only be interested in 1 at that time..

I suppose I'll have to submit a feature request.

What is your style set to show when you go to an Images folder?

You can also set a style to open tab groups - so it would be a simple matter of adding a new tab (note that these are not the same as the tabs you're using for style selection) when a new photo folder is created.

Folder tree (specific width), file listing in thumbnails (specific width), preview, thumbnail resize toolbar "button".

Using the Content Type feature you can easily have Opus automatically go to thumbnails mode once the folder being shown contains images (at which point the resize toolbar button will show up if it's on toolbar). The threshold for this behaviour is configurable, so you can determine the percentage of image files in a folder that Opus needs before triggering the change to thumbnails mode.

Personally I can't think of anything more annoying than Opus automatically opening the viewer pane and folder tree as I navigate through folders.

Yup, I know this :slight_smile:

Personally I find it annoying to manually open the viewer pane and folder tree + resize these parts of the window, every time I open a photo/images folder (or switch style tabs manually every time) :wink: I totally understand where you're coming from, but.. opinions (and work methods) differ.. :slight_smile:

FWIW I personally prefer to first go to the folder I want, and then to apply the style I want to view that folder with. The style stays active until I replace it with a different style (often but not always in a different folder). Also it's quite common for me to use several styles in one folder (at different times of course) to accomplish whatever job I'm working on. So for me an applied style to a content detected folder format would not work at all, it would be too limiting for my needs.

How would it be limiting when you can still apply any other style you want? It wouldn't limit in any way. Besides, I'd hope that it would just be an option, not default, as I can understand how a changing interface would annoy more people than it would make them happy :slight_smile:

Yes you could. I guess I'm not quite following what you're asking for.

Yes you could. I guess I'm not quite following what you're asking for.[/quote]
That, optionally, the style can swap automatically depending on per-folder settings or content-type, so without clicking on another style tab manually.

Optional = not for every user (only when set). Not limited = you can still swap to another style manually after an automatic change of style.

Hope that makes it clearer :slight_smile: