Automatically resize the lister window?

When a lister window opens, say after clicking on a shortcut from the start menu or rocketdock, the new lister window opens to a standard size. Can this size be changed?

Or more importantly, can DO automatically determine the proper size based on the contents of the folder?

The problem is that some folders have only five files in them, while others have hundreds. Can DO use this information to open a new window of the appropriate size?

THANKS!

DOOOO IT?

Anyhow :wink:... yes, it can be changed but no, Opus will not size the lister dynamically based on number of starting folders contents.

To set it to a static size when opening from a 'shortcut', set the size you'd like manually and then select the Settings->Set As Default Lister.

I've removed the stupid prefix on the subject of this post. Please don't do this - it just clutters search results and makes it easier to ignore your posts. :slight_smile:

Thanks to the both of you!

I have setup DO's default lister to take up a space similar to that of windows vista with the sidebar open on the right. However, in Win7x64 the sidebar no longer restricts window size and maximizing a window will overlay the gadgets on the sidebar. So I minimized DO and then dragged the sides to the position I wanted them to be in and then use the set as default lister and click ok to save and then ok when it says it saved it. The next time I open the default however it does not maintain the bottom where I saved it. The top, left and right sides are all where they belong, just not the bottom. Hope someone can help.

The problem you're seeing seems to be caused by Windows 7's new feature where resizing a window all the way to the top or bottom of the screen makes it full-height (sort of semi-maximized).

When in that state, saving the default lister actually saves the window size from before it was made full-height.

If you resize the window so it's almost full-height, but not quite enough to trigger the new Windows 7 thing, and then save the default then it works.

It looks like the default lister is saving the "restored window size" for non-maximized windows. Until Windows 7 that was always the correct thing to do.

Windows 7 now means that each window really has three sizes: Maximized, restored and actual. (If you take a window that is full-height, click maximize and then click restore, you'll notice it's gone back to what it was before it was full-height instead of going back to full-height. That's the same thing that's causing Opus not to save the window size you're expecting.)

I didn't realize that W7 changed. But I did notice that occasionally when I dragged a window it would go from small size to full size although I'm still not quite sure why. (ie. I would drag a less than full size window like a pop-up to the other side of the screen and all of a sudden it would be full-size.

Your solution works but I'm a bit confused as to understanding what the process is. If I drag the bottom, as I did in my case to the bottom but not the side out to it's fullest I have not "maximized" the window. But if I drag the left and right sides out without the bottom it does not react in the same manner of having a "restored" size. In fact I can drag all three sides (top and both sides) to their max and it will set properly as long as I don't drag the bottom. And I notice now that when I drag the bottom down to the toolbar it temporarily flashes. So what's the theory or purpose? Do you know?

I take that back I had a hidden Lister when I was setting the default and it messed up my experiment. I get the flash at the top and the bottom just not on the sides.

So I assume the theory is if you're dragging the top or bottom to the max you're really trying to maximize the window? God, MS has an odd way of thinking.

It's a top/bottom maximized.

There's a short guide to using Aero Snap here:
coolbuster.net/2009/05/windo ... -aero.html

Lots more detail on the design of it here:
blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/0 ... -snap.aspx