Backup and Restore: system.bin

Hello,

I'm about to export a configuration (from 32bit to 64bit for a secondary laptop) and I've taken a look at the data exported.

May I ask what exactly is stored in the system.bin file? ( I took a look at it via Online binary file viewer but couldn't really tell)

What will happen when I delete the system.bin file from the DOpus directory (after DOpus has been shut down)?

Does any of the checkboxes during backup creation toggle exclusively whether or not system.bin will be included?

I'm asking because I was thinking of making a configuration backup that includes as much as possible of my configuration, but as little personal data as possible, to give to people to whom I recommend DOpus :+1:

Thanks

System.bin stores settings for Windows virtual folders. It’s usually not very important.

Giving config backups to other people isn’t a great idea as they won’t know what you have changed or why, or if they want the same changes too. It can then be confusing as things don’t work how the manual describes. Better to make a list of suggested changes and explain what each one does, assuming it’s not a long list.

1 Like

Thanks! (oh and Merry Christmas....)

• So system.bin will not contain any typically "personal" information in all likelihood, as I understand it... and thus can be given to other people. :+1: :slight_smile:

• My idea would be to give a config file alongside a documentation of those (few) changes that might cause confusion, or that are important to know (such as added hotkeys). Plus perhaps a screenshot of Dopus with all buttons marked that have been manually created/don't have default behavior.
    My idea is that "average" people will never spend time configuring DOpus (even with a list of "todos", there would have to be a step-by-step guide for every change suggestion, which would take ages to write) -- (I've already had success configuring DOpus for non-technical people with an Explorer-resembling layout, who did make use of a lot of the stuff that I configured/added/made more easily accessible. :+1: )

Average people are probably better off using the defaults and a standard configuration. They’re the defaults for a reason. :slight_smile: