Backup open tabs?

Is there a way to back up the list of tabs open in DOpus? What file are they stored in?

Because DO is really bad at maintaining the tabs, they are regularly reset.

Settings > Set as Default Lister will save them as the default lister, along with the rest of the current window's setup as the new default.

Settings > Lister Layouts > Save This Lister will do the same, except it saves the current window into a named layout which can be loaded by name.

Or right-click the tab bar, then use Groups > Save to save them into a Folder Tab Group, which can be loaded into a window without changing other aspects of it.

1 Like

Additional to the above post:

You may also want to turn on Preferences / Launching Opus / Explorer Replacement / Open all Default Lister tabs when opening a new window if you are finding the tabs get "reset" when you open new folders into Opus from outside.

Thank you for the replies. I will try if the "Open all ..." option helps, although I don't think I had a second window open last time this happened.

Regarding saving the lister: I would really like to automate the process because I'm terrible at remembering such tasks. If the lister layout is saved in a file I could back it up automatically.

You can turn on Preferences / Launching Opus / Default Lister / Update Default Lister automatically when closing a Lister.

But the problem might be that it is already on, and you sometimes close a window when it isn't showing all your tabs, losing the tabs you want to see by default because the window you just closed saves over them. If so, turn that setting off off and use Settings > Set as Default Lister when you want to update your list of tabs, which will be kept forever until you explicitly tell Opus to change them again.

There should be no need to backup anything by hand as Opus doesn't randomly lose track of things. But if you really want to, the files are under /dopusdata\Layouts with the default lister stored in the System folder below there.

See How to backup or locate your Opus configuration (Simple) for more about config backups, locating the config folder, and the /dopusdata folder alias.

Thank you, this is what I was looking for. I actually want the tabs to remember the state as they change them, I just don't want a second window to replace them. But knowing where the info is stored I can back it up.

You might want to look at the 'Close ALLLISTERS=collapse' command.

You can test it by typing '>' in a lister to get a command line, and typing or pasting the command.

This will close all the open listers except one. The one remain lister will have ALL the left side tabs, and ALL the right side tabs from ALL previously existing listers.

Then, with the Update Default Lister automatically when closing a Lister option enabled as mentioned by leo, closing the final lister will save ALL tabs as the default for the next time you open DO.

You could map whatever hotkey or menu item you use to exit DO to call this before closing the last window.

You could also have a couple of buttons similar to the following;
Go TABGROUPSAVE "!both,Important Tabs"
Go TABGROUPSAVE "!both,In progress Tabs"

and combine them with buttons such as;
Go TABGROUPLOAD "Important Tabs"
Go TABGROUPLOAD "In progress Tabs"

I personally use a "three-button" whatever that means, and use left-mouse click to load, and right mouse click to save/update.
This lets me quickly manage a pool of tab groups without thinking too hard, though I admit, I often forget to right click before closing the lister..

Thank you Leo, this just sold me after testing this for a week, I love this. Your team has made an amazing product!

2 Likes