Backup Problems Error code 5 - Access is denied in V 11.10.1

Hello all. I've never had a problem using the Backup and Restore Configuration of Opus until just a bit ago when I tried to backup my Settings. I've done regular backups once a week for years, using the same directory, on the same drive, using the same method. When the latest v 11.10.1 (Beta) was released, I installed it, and this is the 1st time I've had the opportunity to use the Backup feature.

My OS is Windows 8.1 Update 1 x64, with all Windows Updates current. I have researched this issue using the Advanced Search here on the forum, but nothing seems to help. I can type in /dopusdata, then go up one level, and use the Opus built-in zip function, and it zips up just fine. I have double checked the permissions on my backup directory where I have stored my Opus backups for years, and it has not changed at all regarding permissions or access settings. No reason it would, really, because it's just a data drive. All my other programs backup to that same drive, in the same general folder just fine... Firefox, Thunderbird, etc... They backup just as good as always. I have run 4 different malware and adware programs, just to be sure I haven't gotten a problem all the sudden on my System drive, or that data storage drive. Everything comes up as being clean.

It's just Opus that gets about 7/8 of the way done with the backup, then informs me that I have an Error code 5 - Access is denied.

I then read where leo suggested a few years ago, to use the Backup as usual, but to un-check all the boxes for Images, Sounds, Misc Data, and local state data. So, I tried that, and it will perform a backup with all the boxes un-checked. So, of course, I did backups, one by one, and started at the top of the list of check boxes, and checked them on again. With Images checked, it backups fine. With Images and Sounds checked it backups fine. When I checked miscellaneous data, it threw me an Error code 5 again. So, I un-checked that box, and finished by checking the box for local state data. That finished just fine.

I even disabled my antivirus and tried with all items checked, but get the same Error code 5, and Windows Defender is turned off.

So, bottom line is that I can zip the /dopusdata folder just fine. Of course, it does not result in an .ocb format, but it does zip. I can use the built-in Backup feature of Opus, with all items checked except miscellaneous data, and it works fine. But when I check that misc data box, it stops at about 7/8 completed, and gives me an Error code 5.

Would anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to how I can resolve this issue? Thanks!

I also just now tried to use the custom button I had made some time ago for making a Opus backup. It no longer works either. The button is configured as follows:

Prefs BACKUP=all TO "O:/Program Data Backups/Data Backups/Directory Opus/Ob - Opus Config - {date|MM-dd-YYYY}" Quiet

I'm at a loss as to why it won't work all the sudden.....

Are you familiar with Process Monitor? If so, using that to see what is accessed just before the failure may be the quickest solution.

Otherwise, if you want to zip up your /dopusdata, /dopuslocaldata and /dopusglobaldata folders and email them to leo@gpsoft.com.au, I'll see if I can find a problem in the config.

Don't post those to the forum since they may contain private data. It's also worth clearing the thumbnail cache (Preferences / Display Modes / Thumbnails) to reduce the data size.

[quote="leo"]Are you familiar with Process Monitor? If so, using that to see what is accessed just before the failure may be the quickest solution.

Otherwise, if you want to zip up your /dopusdata, /dopuslocaldata and /dopusglobaldata folders and email them to leo@gpsoft.com.au, I'll see if I can find a problem in the config.

Don't post those to the forum since they may contain private data. It's also worth clearing the thumbnail cache (Preferences / Display Modes / Thumbnails) to reduce the data size.[/quote]

Hello, leo. I fail to see what problem in the config you would even suspect that there is??? As I stated, Backup has performed 100% fine, until I installed this last beta update. I have not changed the config of Opus at all, except to install the newest version of Opus. I appreciate you offering to examine all that data, however, as I said, nothing has changed. No added programs, buttons, scripts, toolbars, nothing.

All I did was to update the program. I'll keep poking around to see if I can find out what the issue is. I'll use your suggestion of seeing if Process Monitor can shed any light on the issue.

Thanks!

Sometimes the backup process doesn't cope with certain files or filenames in certain parts of the config. As far as we know, we've fixed all such issues a long time ago, but it's always possible your configuration triggers an issue we're not aware of.

If you'd like me to look at your config, just send it over.

Sometimes the backup process doesn't cope with certain files or filenames in certain parts of the config. As far as we know, we've fixed all such issues a long time ago, but it's always possible your configuration triggers an issue we're not aware of.

If you'd like me to look at your config, just send it over.[/quote]

When you quoted me, you left out the part where I said that Backup has worked 100% fine for me for years now, and I have not changed one iota of Opus' config. If there was something in my config that was going to trigger an issue, I would think it would have shown up long ago, don't you agree?

I really do appreciate your offer of examining the config I use. If it comes down to that, and I am unable to track down the problem from this side, I may just take you up on your generous offer.

My genuine thanks!! :slight_smile:

The "Miscellaneous data" option includes things that you might not think of as part of your configuration - i.e. elements of program state that might have been added or changed automatically simply during your day-to-day usage.

Interesting. I was not aware that Opus could change elements of the program state automatically during my day-to-day usage. I am still at the stage of examining the detailed results of using Process Monitor to attempt to track down the problem from this side. Perhaps I should widen the filter to show results from processes other than dopus.exe..... Thanks for the pointer!!

Specifically, the "Miscellaneous data" option causes the following to be backed up : File Collections, Libraries (only on XP) and Flickr photo syncing information.

I'd probably be looking in your File Collections (including Find Results) for the cause of the problem.

Copy that.

Once again, many thanks for your time and efforts!!!

Just to clarify, we do consider this a bug, so please report back with what you discover.

You hit the nail on the head. In my day to day usage of Opus, I never use File Collections. But I do recall reading about them in the last updates' Help File, so I thought I'd see what I've been missing.

I created a small 'Test Collection' that included a couple of data backup directories from my data backup drive. There were maybe 3 'virtual pointers' to 3 actual directories that I keep specific backup data in.

Today was my 'Data Backup Day', and I did program backups, which all went well, putting new data into those directories that were included in the 'Test Collection'. Just to be clear, my Directory Opus backup data directory was NOT one of the directories in the 'Test Collection' that I made.

When I went to coll:// and looked inside the 'Test Collection' directory, the 3 virtual directories were there, and they all 3 included the newly created data files.

After confirming that fact, I double checked the permissions on the actual data backup directories, and they were as they should be. Makes sense, because I had no problem doing data backups to them this morning.

Since I do not use that 'Test Collection' at all, it was just something I was attempting to learn for possible future use, I just deleted the entire 'Test Collection' folder. I re-checked that the original data was still where it was supposed to be, which it was.

After all that, I used the Backup feature of Opus, with all the check boxes checked, including misc data, and it completed just fine.

So, it is now working well, as it always did, after I deleted that one file collection I had made.

I'm glad it's back to working right for me, and in some way that I do not know, I hope it helps you to track down what you consider to be a bug.

If you need any more info, just ask, and I'll do my best to help out!

I forgot to mention that I did not have any 'Find Results', because I do not use the Find function within Opus. So, I believe you can rule that option out as being a culprit.

We would've liked to see those collections to work out why the backup was failing, but can't now if you've deleted them.

That was part of why I asked you to send your config to us.

[quote="leo"]We would've liked to see those collections to work out why the backup was failing, but can't now if you've deleted them.

That was part of why I asked you to send your config to us.[/quote]

I remember which 3 directories that I had in the 'Test Collection'. It would not be a problem for me to create another "Test Collection" so that I could rar the set up and send it to you. Then after I send it to you, I can just delete the collection again, no biggie.

If you'll tell me the location of where the File Collections are stored on my local drive, I would be happy to do that for you. Not a problem at all!!

Thanks!

They are stored in /dopusdata/Collections

The names of the collections may also be important, as well as the files and folders within them.

Please do a quick check that the problem comes back after recreating the collections, to make sure the problem itself has also been recreated.

You're welcome! Give me a bit, and if the same issue happens again after I create the collection, I'll rar it up and send it to you.

I'll update when I know more.

Well, I made the same 'Test Collection', and tried the Backup with all boxes checked, and now it works without the Error code 5. Go figure.

So, it looks like I deleted the cause of the Error code 5 when I deleted that one file collection. Sorry 'bout that, I would have liked to been able to help the 'cause'!! It's just not doing it now..

In the future, if that ever happens again, I'll be sure to rar the collection up and send to you for examination.

Maybe it was just something I did wrong when I made the test collection in the first place. Like I said, I've never done it before, and I don't use them, so it could have been a case of Operator Error when I created it.

Hi, I recently finished the trial period and I'm now using it with the license. Really Great stuff!! I also spent some time playing around with Collections for the first time. No problems with backups until recently and I suspected it might be tied to Collections since that is the new variation. Backups no longer complete...very close to finishing-probably over 90%-but then it fails with "Backup failed. Error code 5: Access is denied. (5)". Perhaps I could make a copy of the Collections info and then start removing them and trying the "Backup and Restore" to see when it completes successfully. Please advise and thank you in advance.

Please do, and let us know what happens. If it seems related to collections, please send us a copy of the original Collections configuration folder so we can investigate.