Best file managers for Windows

Comparsion of any programs is almost impossible. It should be made by few people who knows very good all compared programs and have lot of time for making lot of tests. In case filemanagers, especially powerfull ones, it's even more difficult. What is most important? Complexity? Number of functions that gives more possibilities? Customization? In that case Opus win for sure. But for some people number of functions can be not that important, they may perfer "easy to use" factor. Everything depends on personal experience. Someone may prefer speed or quality of all elements of filemanager and in that case Opus may lose beause more options usually means that they're less refined. For me DO is best filemanager and as far as I remember - always was. And even if is slower than competition in many cases, still its general capabilities and customization is greater than others what makes it so good in every day work. But even if I think that it's best filemanager, I would not recommend it for everyone. It's tool for very specific type of users (called sometimes "power users") and still has many cons. I hope some day it will be so polished that can replace many native OS functionality and replace many other tools and programs, and then it will be "must have" tool for everyone, but not yet.

@ peterb
Exactly. Each file manager has its strength and its fans for various reasons. Therefore I think it's always good that developers take each other seriously and try to learn from each other instead of just disregarding one or another over just a language. Skillful developers can make the most out of things even on limited resources or tools. All the developers here for DOpus are very skillful. But there are also plenty of bad C++ developers out there and just because they programmed in a language that has a future does not mean they are better programmers than those who are skilled and proficient with VB6. They may have the future but they surely don't necessary have the skills.

Either way, I love both of these programs. So weird that I use two file managers but it does not matter anyways. Both are great, productive, and fun to use.

I actually own licenses for XYplorer and Xplorer2, along with my DOpus license. I find a few features in the other file managers useful and, when not already included in DOpus, try to replicate them. Although I still default to DOpus daily, I find value in keeping up with what other developers are doing.

That said, I did update the comparison site with several new pros for DOpus that weren't previously included to highlight many features I find valuable.

There is also this collaborative site that accepts reviews: http://alternativeto.net/software/directory-opus/.

As I do have lots of fun using DO, I thought it only fair to vote. Having said that, I did use the wife's e-mail to register with.

voted! DOPUS is the best!
I feel like this is what emacs fanatics must have felt earlier.

My theory of people loving software is that it grows in capability as their understanding improves! thereby improving their own ability.

Dopus starts out simple, but as you use it and want to do more, you find out that it can! just requires a bit of reading.
Most modern UI's are now moving to easy discovery via the Command Palette.
Example sublime text.
Basically you type out what you want and the program does it for you . (google has rewired the world's brains).

Enough rambling. Vote!

1 Like