Bizarre slow load of two particular folders

I have two folders on two different devices that load slooooooooooowwwwly:

[ul]Downloads folder on a NAS share that's mapped as a drive letter (R:\Downloads).

Downloads folder on a RAID enclosure connected directly to the PC via Thunderbolt2.[/ul]

When I say "slow," I mean it takes anywhere from 45-120 seconds for dopus to display the contents of either of these folders. Spinning-wheel busy cursor while I wait, and if I click anywhere on the dopus window before the folder populates, dopus crashes.

There are many, many folders with far more data, both in volume and number of files, and they all open instantly.

Even stranger? Both these Downloads folders open instantly in everything except dopus. Windows Explorer. Q-Dir. And usually even browsing to select a file from one of those folders from within an app. No delay at all, instant load.

Ideas?

BTW, I'm a long-time Pro user and I've linked my account to the boards here, but for some reason the link apparently doesn't hold.

If it's happening in downloads folders, my bet is it involves your antivirus scanner.

Your account ls showing as linked; what makes you think it has become unlinked?

Not the AV scanner. Just disabled it and tried both folders. No change.

This is what made me think my account was unlinked:

When your account is linked your ChopOMatic user name shows up in orange. The Please link your account request is generic.

Regards, AB

Thx, Aussie. Now I know. :wink:

Sorry for taking so long to reply. We've been working through a long list for the new version.

Some things to try:

[ul][li]Assuming the folder tree is open, do things go faster if you close it?

If that does speed things up, try turning off the Preferences / Folder Tree / Contents: ZIP files and other archives option and see if it is a factor.

[/li]
[li]If you're using any cloud storage software in your downloads folders, a quick thing to try is setting Preferences / Folders / Folder Display: Show generic icons for: All folders.

You would not want to leave it set like that, but it lets you test whether a cloud storage tool is causing delays with icon lookup. (We made some changes recently to reduce the impact of that, but it could still cause unexpected delays depending on how the cloud storage tool works.)

[/li]
[li]Crash, exit or high CPU when viewing certain directories has instructions on how to find out if the problem is being caused by a 3rd party shell extension. They're often involved in things which only affect certain folders.

[/li]
[li]You can create a Process Monitor log which records what Opus and other software is doing on the machine during the delay. Make sure the log includes Registry and File System events (using the icons on the right of Process Monitor's main toolbar).

If you File>Save the log from within Process Monitor, using PML format, and zip the result, you can email that to leo@gpsoft.com.au and I'll see what it reveals.[/li][/ul]