Bluetooth question

I have bought a Bluetooth stick now, but it's not visible in Opus. All i can find is a context menu item to send files to the phone, but i can't even browse or specify the location. Is this the normal behavior? I never had any device like that.

Is it visible in File Explorer?

Not really. I looked into it only from the Windows side now. All i see, ist that Bluetooth Manager¹, or whatever it is, that doesn´t make much sense & that new context menu item (actually three of them, showing the Bluetooth symbol), that allows me to copy stuff to a fixed location in the Phone.

I can´t browse the Windows side from the phone, either, but interestingly had a stable USB session, with no freezes so far.

:smiley:

¹ i don´t see it in Explorer or Opus, but it´s some application i can start, showing me some very informative things, but otherwise not helpful to have any way to browse the smartphones contents. Ok, it doesn´t matter, since i was already very pessimistic about Bluetooth in the first place.

Bluetooth on Windows is basically like a null-modem cable without the cable.

Why don't you at least give the FTP suggestion a go instead of dismissing it as too hard without even trying it?

I could try to search some information about it, but it sounds like beyond my capabilities, especially on the smartphones side. Except i find some easy too understand step by step instruction in the web.

Installing an app is beyond your capabilities? :slight_smile:

Sorry for having gone off topic. Finally, the MTP thing works now, as i got a hint in the Android forum to upgrade the faulty MTP driver. This problem appears to be specific to Windows 10. Even the problem with the "invisible" files looks fixed now. :clap:

Ok, i was underestimating them :smiley: , since i've managed to install that FTP thing, although maybe not in the sense as lxp has suggested. As i understood, he was talking about some way of directly FTP-ing between the smartphone & the computer. But what i have managed was to connect to some FTP-server, which i'm casually using. Anyway, the FTP app turned out to be impractical, as far as i checked it - no two window funtionality to drag thing over. In the meantime i got that tip, that with Windows 10 you've got to update the MTP driver in the device manager. & yeah, most smartphone or Android stuff is very new to me, still a lot to learn. :+1:

I think people were suggesting you install an FTP Server on the phone. (Which is trivial: You just install an app, click the icon, enter a username and password, then click the "go" button, after which you can FTP into the phone using the username and password you specified from Opus or FileZilla or any other Windows FTP client.)

Installing an FTP client on the phone and then transferring files to some other FTP site would be more cumbersome, since you'd be doing everything with a touchscreen UI, and involving a third server (unless you put the FTP server on the PC side, but running an FTP server in Windows is way more complicated than on Android).

Maybe I'll give it a second try then. But as USB transfer looks much better now, it can wait. I have tried andFTP btw., & it turned out, that i would have to type the password with every usage, where the touchscreen UI indeed was cumbersome, especially when (i suppose) having to type the password case sensitive, changing back & forth between numeric part & characters, etc.

There is still a lot to find out, like maybe a better Android file browser, with some way to create some favorites or abbreviations to frequently used locations.

I haven't looked at other file managers on Android or Android apps in general much lately, but you might want to try Solid Explorer which is a good Android file manager and has a convenient FTP server built-in.

There's also a good standalone SSH/SFTP server but I can't remember which of the many similarly-named ones I used to use. Solid Explorer's FTP server does the job for me, and basic/unencrypted FTP is fine when it's over my private LAN and only transferring cat photos anyway. :slight_smile:

I use this FTP Server on the phone (Android), I think it's called SwiFTP:
https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=be.ppareit.swiftp_free

You can install it easily with the F-Droid App-Store if you already have that, if not download the APK directly.
It's also to be found in the PlayStore, don't have that though, can't tell where and how.

I found FTP to be the most convenient way to get things on/off the phones filesystem (via WiFi).
Simply enable the FTP and put the phone away, then hit a DO button reading like this:

GO ftp://<user>@<pwd>:<phoneip>:<port>

and you can start exchanging data, it works quite ok, most of the time.
Consider closing the DO viewer pane, it may get you in trouble (images seem to not load, FTP will hang).

Or try ES File Explorer on Android-side and copy data to network-shares, ftp,... using WiFi