BSOD - Could DOpus be involved?

Over the last few days, I've started suffering from an intermittent blue screen of death problem. I've tried my best to troubleshoot. I've run the Microsoft Memory Diagnostic tool and everything checked out OK. I've tried to close applications and services to see if I can isolate the culprit and DOpus remains a possibility as the BSOD has occurred several times shortly after I've opened a new DOpus lister. The BSOD message is:

STOP 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xB0E37BC6, 0xBA1F78AC, 0x00000000)

fltmgr.sys address B9E37BC6 base at B9E23000, datestamp 480251da

Microsoft has a hotfix for what seems like the same problem (same error code on the BSOD) but for Windows Server 2003, but not XP Pro.

---Michael

User mode programs (like Opus) can't really cause blue screens, and since a driver "fltmgr.sys" is specifically mentioned in the error report this would seem to be a logical place to start looking.

Plenty of info in Google if you search for "fltmgr.sys blue screen".

(Edit: I replied at the same time as Jon so there's some duplicate information here but also some additional stuff.)

Opus may be triggering a problem in another component but there's no way that Opus itself could be the cause since user-mode applications cannot cause BSODs.

With fltmgr.sys it's most likely to be either anti-virus software or hardware device drivers. I'd try updating/disable/uninstalling any a/v software and making sure the drivers for your SATA/IDE controller are up-to-date.

If you were using a USB or virtual drive then I'd also check that your USB/motherboard drivers are the latest versions, or that the problem isn't caused by the virtual drive software (e.g. TrueCrypt/BestCrypt/Daemon Tools). I had a bunch of BSOD problems myself with TrueCrypt, FWIW (though other people find it's fine for them).

I did a bit more work to try to isolate the problem. It appears to ONLY happen when DOpus is running with Norton Internet Security 2009 (beta) installed. Every time that I'd start DOpus, I would get a BSOD within a few minutes. I played around with some settings in Norton and when I turned off SONAR (the real-time detection component), the BSODs stopped (so far, at least). I've reported the problem on the NIS beta forum. I wonder what it is that SONAR doesn't like about DOpus?