Buffer Under run

Hey Folks,

I searched around in the forums but did not see this issue discussed so I decided to post it for the experts.

When I select a large number of files and right click on them to select Copy or Cut - Opus generates a buffer under run error and closes the program. It also does this when I select a large number of files and try to use the menus to Cut, Copy or whatever.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sprawl

I've never seen this, but how many files is a large number? 100? 1,000? 1,000,000?

What do you mean by "buffer under run"? Is that part of an error message you see or something?

Does the problem happen just after you right-click the files, or only after you select Cut/Copy?

If the problem occurs when you select Cut/Copy, do you have any clipboard-monitoring utilities (e.g. MS Office :slight_smile:, ClipMate, etc.) running that might cause a conflict?

If the problem happens before you select Cut/Copy, try turning on Preferences, Miscellaneous, Windows Integration, Hide Windows items on file context menus, then see if that solves the problem.

(Actually, it's worth trying the above even if the crash only happens after Cut/Copy is selected.)

If the Preferences option does solve the problem, turn it off again and then have a look in in the Opus 8.1.0.4 change log for information on a registry setting you can make which tells Opus to output debug information when calling 3rd party context menu handlers. This information should point to the program which is causing the conflict, and hopefully with that knowledge GPSoft can work around the problem (or the people who make the program in question, depending on where the fault lies and whether they take any notice of bug reports :slight_smile:).

I don't have Opus 8.1.0.4 on this machine to quote the registry information here, but it should be there in the change log. (Or maybe it was 8.1.0.3? Something like that, anyway!)

Nudel - YOU ROCK!

I recreated the error again to give you the specifics. It was really a Visual C++ Buffer Overrun in dopus.exe.

I searched a while on Microsoft's site and then on the net but didn't really find anything.

I tried your suggestion;

"try turning on Preferences, Miscellaneous, Windows Integration, Hide Windows items on file context menus, then see if that solves the problem."

That seemed to do the trick. Before I implemented it I selected 100 files and as soon as I right clicked I got the buffer overrun error. I changed the setting you suggested and then selected 600 files and got no error.

I really appreciate your help!!!!!!!!

Thanks for taking time to answer - and so quickly.

:sunglasses:

Sprawl

Well as Leo suggested, it's not actually Opus that is causing the error, but one of the context menu extensions you have installed.

If you're happy to run without Windows context menu items that's fine but it would probably be better for you (and everyone) if you can spare the time to find out which program is causing the error, so that maybe something can be done about it.

I would be happy to but I am unsure how to selectivly activate them.

Any suggestions on how I would go about narrowing it down?

Here's the info from the 8.1.0.1 change log:

[quote]* It is now possible to disable context menu extensions in Opus by creating a registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\IgnoreContextHandlers

Under that key, add string values, the names of which are the context menu extension's CLSID

• It is now possible to set the registry variable:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\GPSoftware\Directory Opus
(String) ContextMenuDbg = ""

If this is set Opus will display a debug printout of all third-party context menu extensions as they are invoked (when pressing the right mouse button on a file or folder).

If you have a context menu problem this should let you identify which context menu extension is causing the trouble, and you could then add its CLSID to the ignore list as above if desired. Remember to clear this registry entry after use.[/quote]
If you're not familiar with registry editing just shout.

Also, to add to Nudel's offer... depending on what sort of files you're selecting it might be tough to find all the CLSID entries you'd want to focus on disabling selectively. If for instance you selected 100-600 files of various mixed file types, the problematic CLSID could be in any number of HKCR sub keys... On the other hand, if you are able to reproduce this by selecting 600 files - all of the same file type then there would only be a few keys to look for extension handlers. Either way, some of us can help find these as well once you re-enable 'Windows context menu items' in Opus and have the time to test...

Then again - this all might be meaningless babble. Would the 'ContextMenuDbg' option added in the changelog mentioned above help provide this very info?