BUG: Dopus crashes with simple user buttons

Hello i recently upgraded to the latest Directory Opus 10.0.1.3 beta X64. I run Windows 7 64 bit version. I don't know if the problem was there before because i created these buttons today.

Anyway the problem is that all custom commands like

notepad {filepath}

OR

ffmpeg -ss 20 -i {filepath} -aspect 4:3 -vf "scale=640:480" -vcodec mjpeg -vframes 1 -an -f rawvideo folder.jpg

crashes DOPUS with the following message

Windows crash reports the following:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: dopus.exe
Application Version: 4.0.2.4
Application Timestamp: 4e23b724
Fault Module Name: kernel32.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17617
Fault Module Timestamp: 4dce2b0d
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000000000009931b
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1053
Additional Information 1: 9c8b
Additional Information 2: 9c8b1dccd619e0983c0eff8a0710a2ac
Additional Information 3: 5236
Additional Information 4: 52361e8f2912fd6c4b84ea9d4917e7ab

Seems strange, as those are very simple commands.

Is that happening even if the file is directly in C:\ with a simple, ASCII name? e.g. C:\test.txt ?

Yes it occurs regardless of path and some times there is another window that pops that looks like this:

Is a crash dump created?

Yes a dopus crash dump is created for every time a crash has happened i got 8 crash dump files now. I also tried DOPUS 1.0.1.0 a non-beta version it also crashed.

Thanks for checking.

Please contact GPSoftware support and let them know you can send them the crash-dumps. They should be able to use them to get a better idea of where the crash is coming from, if any 3rd party DLLs (shell extensions usually) may be involved, etc.

I have contacted them and i managed to fix the problem by deleting all configuration data available.

Sadly the command like notepad {filepath} still does not open the selected file and the button only works when there is no file selected then it just runs notepad.

It might be worth a try to uninstall Opus, reboot, then reinstall Opus. (That should wipe the config completely, and also ensure all the components are consistent and registered.)

When installing the latest beta again the problem is sadly back again.

Everything works very well with the previous beta Directory Opus 10.0.1.2 beta X64. The command works exactly as it should with no problems at all. So the newer 10.0.1.3 beta seems to have some serious issues.

If some versions (10.0.1.0 and 10.0.1.3) are having problems and intermediate versions (10.0.1.2) aren't, that makes it likely that some component is corrupting memory and the code moving around slightly in each version is causing that corruption to have more or less of an effect.

The crash-dumps may reveal more, so it's probably worth waiting for those to be inspected.

If you want to try things in the meantime, here's a list of suggestions. Things involving columns, thumbnails, plugins, codecs and shell extensions are most likely to be relevant.