[BUG] Drag & drop ZIP extracting broken

If you drag & drop a folder containing in a zipped file to any folder outside Directory Opus, for example: to Windows Explorer or Desktop, you will get only the half number of all files extracted.

For example:
Download the following Stellent.zip and try to drag & drop the "Filters" folder to Desktop outside DO. My result: I could get only 101 files extracted while the whole folder has 194 files.

The same behaviours occured with Lister to Lister in dual view inside DO:
If you drag a folder from an Lister and drop it to Desktop of another Lister, then you will also get the same broken files like above.
Btw, the path to the virtual Desktop should be chosen from: Go > Desktop (without the C:\ ) and Not something like this C:\something\bla\Desktop

Test file:
rapidshare.de/files/34897843/Stellent.zip.html

I cannot reproduce your results.

Script 1[ol][li] Download .zip archive to a download folder.[/li]
[li] Open a dual lister with the download folder in left pane, Desktop in right pane.[/li]
[li] Right-click on the .zip archive in the left pane.[/li]
[li] Drag-and-Drop the .zip archive to the right pane.[/li]
[li] From the resulting context menu, select Directory Opus Zip - Extract Here.
ACTUAL RESULTS: The copy completes. Destination Folder contains a Stellent subfolder, that contains a Filter subfolder, that contains 194 files - CORRECT[/li][/ol]
Script 2[ol][li] Download .zip archive to a download folder.[/li]
[li] Open a dual lister with the download folder in left pane, Desktop in right pane.[/li]
[li] Double-click on the .zip archive in the left pane, opening it like a folder.[/li]
[li] Drag-and-Drop the Stellent subfolder from the .zip archive to the right pane.
ACTUAL RESULTS: The copy completes. Destination Folder contains a Stellent subfolder, that contains a Filter subfolder, that contains 194 files - CORRECT[/li][/ol]Script 2 also worked dragging-and-dropping the Stellent\Filters subfolder.
These are the ZIP Preference Settings I use.

Hi kenalcock

It seems to be a missunderstanding:
Script 1:
-> 4. Drag-and-Drop the .zip archive to the right pane.
-> 5. From the resulting context menu, select Directory Opus Zip - Extract Here.

Script 2:
-> 4 Double-click on the .zip archive in the left pane, opening it like a folder.
-> 5 Drag-and-Drop the Stellent subfolder from the .zip archive to the right pane.

Of course, Drag-and-Drop files inside Listers Left and Right is working well, but
Drag-and-Drop folders containing in ZIP directly to folder outside the Listers (also outside the Directory Opus program) will fail by me. I mean Drag-and-Drop from DO to Windows Explorer and not inside Listers of DO itself.

I have the same ZIP settings like yours.

I also dragged them directly to the Windows Desktop (outside of Opus) without issue.

And it's the same thing as listing the Desktop namespace (not the folder the namespace points to) in the right lister pane.

hmm... it's strange.
Then it seems to be something wrong with my system. I will check again, Thanks.

I can confirm Ken's results.
I found all 194 files:
a) dragging to the desktop outside of the DOpus GUI.
b) dragging to desktop in a lister pane within the DOpus GUI.

I also downloaded your Stellent.zip
In fact according to the download counter, I was the first to navigate past the menagerie to get to it.
It really is better to simply upload it here.
Use the textbox after Filename to do this.
It's easy.

Is the Stellent.zip you are using the same as the Stellent.zip you uploaded ?
Before I downloaded Stellent.zip, I was thinking you had a corrupt zip file.

@Ken
Thanks much for your professional and CORRECT reply here.

Regards,
Porcupine

Hi porcupine,

Yes, Stellent.zip is the libraries for the Opus Multiview plugin i got them from the Yahoo! Desktop Search that i would like to use in Opus. It is the same one I uploaded, and due to the licensing policy i have to upload the archive to an external hoster instead attaching it directly in here.

Ok, it is obviously now. I have to check my system again because sometimes i got less and sometimes more than 101 files extracted. It is not really a constant number. RAR and ZIP archives outside Opus are working well, the problem is just this one discussing in here i have.

Thanks both of you for your confirmations!

Best regards

Is the file being extracted by Opus or by another program?

I found that the Windows 2003 built-in Zip handling silently ignored files in some situations, although this was when I was zipping up about 100,000 files.

Hi nudel,

I am using Windows XP. The file being extracted has been packed by Winrar 3.60. I am almost sure the file is not defect.

I make a test again and found sth. interesting:
My zip structure: Stellent.zip > Stellent > Filters > 194 files

• i click on the "Filters" folder > select "File" from menu > File Commands > Extract > chose destination folder C:\result01
    Result: All correct extracted with 194 files

But the same procedure:

• click on the "Filters" folder > drag-and-drop this folder to > C:\result02
    Result: extracting process broken suddently by 52% with only around 100 files

I think something is wrong with the drag-and-drop batch script or my system is messed up.

When it goes wrong, is the file being extracted by Opus or by another program?? What kind of progress dialog do you see?

It is by Opus.
I do not use WinRAR or Windows build-in Ziper to extract files while using Opus.

And the progress dialog is in the screenshot. It goes up to max. 56 or 58% then suddenly closed.

Strange, I don't know why it would be different depending on how the extraction was initiated.

Hello,

I'm facing the same problem here for quite some time. Drag&Drop from Archives to other listers works without problems. d&d from Archives to an Explorer window or the Desktop some times does not extract all files or even extracts nothing if the source archive is really big. This applies to .zip and .rar archives I handle from within a lister. When I try to extract the missing files with d&d to the explorer, I get the message that the source could not be read while again extracting to an other lister works fine.

Regards, Lars

Does extracting via drag & drop from one Explorer window to another work for you?

Are you sure that Opus is handling the extraction when you drop onto an Explorer window?

By default, Opus won't add any Extract options to the drag & drop menu for RAR files. If you don't remember adding entries to the RAR filetype to handle drag & drop then it's almost certainly not Opus at work.

I can't tell, as I deactivated the build in zip support from the explorer. But d&d from within other acrchivers work (but those usually extract to a temp directory and them move the extrated files to the intendet destination).

When I start the extraction for selected files from inside a lister, who else should handle the extraction but DOpus? And for the d&d extraction via the popup from the right mouse button, yes, that are the DOpus entries.

The problems are not only related to the drag&drop menu (and no, at the moment I have not added .rar support there), but also to d&d from within a lister towards the explorer/desktop.

Regards, Lars

The key thing is that when you drag from Opus to the Desktop, it is Explorer that handles the operation. It may call Opus to then extract the files, but whether it's doing that isn't clear. There may be another Zip handler as well.

helow confirmed it was Opus extracting the files in his case as he saw the Opus progress dialog appear.

Reading again, though, I think I misinterpreted what you were saying. Do you mean that you're viewing inside the archive in Opus, and dragging a file from inside the archive to Explorer? That's something different to what I was thinking of.