Button to toggle full-row selection in details mode?

Hi All,

Just wondering if it's possible to create a button that toggles the Full-row selection in Details mode off and on?

Many thanks,

pt

No.

Why do you want to toggle it? Surely it's a setting that you'd either want all the time, or never.

[quote="tanis"]No.

Why do you want to toggle it? Surely it's a setting that you'd either want all the time, or never.[/quote]

Not at all. Most of the time I deal with filenames, so I leave Full-row selection off and have developed the habit of using the "whitespace doubleclick" to move back up the directory tree.

Occasionaly, I deal with file details (size, date, etc), and I find it much easier to know which details match which filename when Full-row selection is turned on. However, the whitespace doubleclick doesn't work anywhere in file details space when this is turned on, so my double-clicking habit actually opens the highlighted file in that situation, which is annoying.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to toggle quickly into full row mode, and then back out again for normal usage.

pt

Have you tried turning on grid lines?

BTW, with full-row selection on, whitespace doubleclick should still work in the areas below and to the right of the files. Not that useful when you have to scroll to get there (might as well use a toolbar button instead) but it should still be available if you ever find yourself needing to activate whatever you have assigned to the doubleclick.

[quote="nudel"]Have you tried turning on grid lines?

BTW, with full-row selection on, whitespace doubleclick should still work in the areas below and to the right of the files. Not that useful when you have to scroll to get there (might as well use a toolbar button instead) but it should still be available if you ever find yourself needing to activate whatever you have assigned to the doubleclick.[/quote]

That's a step in the right direction, Nudel, but I still say the best solution for what I'd like to achieve is to be able to toggle full row selection on and off, since it's visually unmissable which row is highlighted when turned on.

And yes, I was aware that you can still doubleclick outside the 'active' area to perform the 'up one level' task, but I agree this is not as useful as using the whitespace within the active area when full row selection is turned off.

All the best,

pt

I still wish we had a separate option that would just 'highlight' the entire row only when clicking on the actual file name...

This would let me ejnoy all the benefits of being able to do things like empty white space dbl-click and drag-n-select of a range of files, but still having the other column data for a 'selected' file 'stand out' more in order to easily distinguish column data for the desired file that might be really far to the right... especially if I have to "scroll" to the right in order to see it.

The grid lines help "marginally"... but just don't provide the quick and 'very obvious' guarantee that you're looking at column data for the intended file... the full row selection state does exactly this and removes all doubt that you're looking at the right info.

'woof

What about highlighting the row that the mouse is over, regardless of selection? Vista's Explorer does that and I think it's a good idea. (Although Vista's Explorer has very little visual difference between 'hot' and selected rows which I think is a bit rubbish. The idea itself is good, though, I'd say.)

My point exactly!

pt

Probably a nice addition... but it doesn't "sound" like it would work well if you needed to scroll left or right in order to see certain info eh?

True dat!