A menu to monitor specific directories

A power user always needs to know what is going on "under the hood" of his computer, e.g. which files are created / changed / deleted etc. in specific directories. FolderChangesView, a tool from NirSoft, allows to monitor any directory (and optionally its subdirectories) from a very nice GUI:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/folder_changes_view.html

So I have created a DOpus button which displays a menu with several often needed predefined directories (see attached screenshot):

<?xml version="1.0"?> <button backcol="none" display="both" label_pos="right" textcol="none" type="menu"> <label>Monitor a Folder...</label> <icon1>FolderChangesView.exe,0</icon1> <button backcol="none" display="label" textcol="none"> <label>Windows Temp +</label> <icon1>#newcommand</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>&quot;FolderChangesView.exe&quot; /Start /BaseFolder &quot;%TEMP%&quot; /MonitorSubfolders 1 </instruction> </function> </button> <button backcol="none" display="label" textcol="none"> <label>Programs x86 +</label> <icon1>#newcommand</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>&quot;FolderChangesView.exe&quot; /Start /BaseFolder &quot;%PROGRAMFILES(X86)%&quot; /MonitorSubfolders 1 </instruction> </function> </button> <button backcol="none" display="label" textcol="none"> <label>Windows +</label> <icon1>#newcommand</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>&quot;FolderChangesView.exe&quot; /Start /BaseFolder &quot;%WINDIR%&quot; /MonitorSubfolders 1</instruction> </function> </button> <button backcol="none" display="label" textcol="none"> <label>User Profile +</label> <icon1>#newcommand</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>&quot;FolderChangesView.exe&quot; /Start /BaseFolder &quot;%USERPROFILE%&quot; /MonitorSubfolders 1</instruction> </function> </button> <button backcol="none" display="label" textcol="none"> <label>App Data +</label> <icon1>#newcommand</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>&quot;FolderChangesView.exe&quot; /Start /BaseFolder &quot;%APPDATA%&quot; /MonitorSubfolders 1</instruction> </function> </button> <button backcol="none" display="label" textcol="none"> <label>Select a folder...</label> <icon1>#newcommand</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>&quot;FolderChangesView.exe&quot;</instruction> </function> </button> </button>

So all you have to do is:

1. Download the FolderChangesView program from the above URL and save it on your computer

2. Copy the above code

3. Paste the code into a text editor and replace all occurrences of FolderChangesView.exe with the path to your saved FolderChangesView.exe program

4. Copy the code from the text editor and paste it into a DOpus toolbar

Enjoy!

2 Likes

This is awesome. TY. :thumbsup:

awesome button!

Very interesting, but how exactly do we use that button? I have installed that Nirtool, but it looks, as if i might as well use it as a stand alone prog.

Since so many of us are actively using DOpus when we think, "I wish I could monitor this folder." This button would answer that need by giving you a quick way to launch the FolderChangesView tool.

I would suggest, however, a "Current Folder" option be added to the menu so the active lister's current folder could be monitored.