Button won't make new nfo file

I am wondering why this fails to make a new *.nfo file:

Select NONE
FileType NEW=.nfo NEWNAME="norename:info"
Select PATTERN="info.nfo"

If I change nfo to txt it will work, but for some reason it won't make a *.nfo file...

NEW=.type only works if there is a new handler for .type.

If you right-click the background of a folder, then open the New menu, and do not see an entry for the type you are trying to create, then it won't work in general.

Depending on the type of .nfo file we are talking about, you may be able to ask for a new .txt file with the .nfo extension. This assumes you want an empty file with the .nfo extension:

FileType NEW=.txt NEWNAME="norename:info.nfo"

(On the other hand, if you need a non-empty template to be created, then you'll need to edit the registry to define a new handler for the type and point it at a template file you have stored somewhere.)

More in this FAQ:

Thanks. What I am trying to do is to make a button that, in one click, will copy the filename of one file and then use this name as the content of a new nfo file.

So if you have a file called foobar.avi you will get a file called file called info.no with the content: foobar

Since I do a lot of backups of Dopus, it would be a shame if I had to add something to the registry because this would not be included in the Dopus backup.

You'd only need to change the registry if you wanted to create a file that wasn't initially empty.

(Even then, there are other ways to do it which don't require changing the registry.)