Cancel flat view mode

When flat view mode is engaged and you are viewing the files, is there a fast way to turn it off (in any of its incarnations) to revert back to the previous view you last had of the folders? ie where you were located in the tree just before you engaged flat view in the first place. I love this feature and frequently want to turn it on/off for certain tasks.
The green "Go back" arrow button goes back to previous folders, but basically goes one step too far back (as I suppose it should), so thats not the way. Right now I seem to have to navigate backwards thru the Folder Tree to get back to where I was (easy, but several steps instead of one).
What seems to me would be good is to have "Esc" or "F12" switch off flat view (these keys only having that function when flat view is active). Or else have GoBack button go back to the previous view first, before going back to the previous folder?
Or is there already a fast, one-key, way ??

The command to turn off flat view Is in the same menu as the ones to turn it on. You can copy it to somewhere else or give it a hotkey for even quicker access if you want.

That does not work here. Flatview is too many steps for me to turn on from the file menu so I have a button:

Set FLATVIEW=On,MixedNoFolders

Neither this button, nor going back to View -> Flatview -> mixed, works. Any suggestions?

Set FLATVIEW=Off

(the command parameters are all described in detail in the manual, btw).

Thanks Jon, that button does it.
I still advocate consideration to use of the "Esc" key (for example) in this situation. But I imagine you have plenty to do...

Esc already does other things.

You can add a hotkey for this yourself if you want it.

I used your suggestion Leo and I added Esc as a hotkey for this new button I just made:
Set FLATVIEW=Off

• Magic!! Thanks yet again guys

I use these settings:

Settings > Customize Toolbars > Keys > New Hotkey (Alt N)

F11
Set FLATVIEW=Grouped (or Mixed)

F12
Set FLATVIEW=Off

I then toggle between F11 and F12 to turn Flat View on or off

Perhaps even better:

Set FLATVIEW=Toggle,grouped

Then a single hotkey can be pressed to toggle Flat View on/off

This command can also be added to a new button in addition to (or in place of) a hotkey.

thanks for the tip jlw. Works well. Might still need two buttons as I prefer Flatveiw MixedNoFolders for some tasks and Grouped for others. Any tip for a three way toggle? (I have too many buttons and like the idea of one).

There does not appear to be to be a way of making a 3-way toggle (eg. for grouped,mixednofolders,off). The only thing I can think of is to make a 2-way toggle button for grouped,mixednofolders and a separate hotkey for turning Flat View off. Then at least only one button would be used rather than two.

You can do that with @ifset - the only limitation is the appearance of the button won't change to reflect the current state. For example:

@toggle disable @ifset:FLATVIEW=Mixed Set FLATVIEW=MixedNoFolders @ifset:FLATVIEW=MixedNoFolders Set FLATVIEW=Grouped @ifset:FLATVIEW=Grouped Set FLATVIEW=Off @ifset:else Set FLATVIEW=Mixed

Thanks Jon. You may not think its perfect, but its the best idea so far!! I like this strategy, works fine at my end.

Adding Filter folders in Flat View (I keep the filter bar visible) helps show which mode you're in!

[quote="jlw"]Perhaps even better:
Set FLATVIEW=Toggle,grouped[/quote]
Thanks, this would be exactly what I am looking for at the moment (a simple toggle button for Flat View).

I have replaced the code inside the standard Flat View button with the above code. However, it doesn't seem to work properly. First, it hides some, but not all folders (strangely). Second, it doesn't group the files as I conclude from the code that it should.

How come?

Please show some screenshots of what you think is the incorrect behaviour.

There is a button to cycle flatview modes on the default toolbar these days, BTW.