Cannot rename PDF file when viewer pane is open

I'm evaluation Directory Opus 8.1.0.5U and I have Adobe Reader 7 installed.

If I select a pdf file and it displays in the viewer pane I get the message:

"An error occurred renaming 'filename.pdf'. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (32)"

I can only rename it if I close the viewer pane.

The pdf file viewing is being handled by the pdf-activex plugin.

Is there a way around this?

thanks!

AFAIK, you can't rename a file that's in use. You'd have the same problem if you tried to rename it while being displayed in Acrobat Reader rather than the DOpus Viewer.

[quote]
abelthorne wrote:
AFAIK, you can't rename a file that's in use. You'd have the same problem if you tried to rename it while being displayed in Acrobat Reader rather than the DOpus Viewer.[/quote]

Although in another filemanager which also have viewpanes, Fileprobe, I can rename files showing in a viewpane....

The only real way around this would be to make the viewer plugin copy the file to a temporary directory before viewing it, but that's usually a waste of time, and will stop multi-file things (e.g. web pages) from working.

It is what happens with Office files, though (if the plugin is configured to do so and you're using MSOffice). But that's more because MSOffice gets really stupid if you try to open the same file twice.

Does Fileprobe show PDF files in the viewer panes? Using Acrobat Reader or something else?

Sometimes you can rename/delete files shown in the Opus viewer pane; it just depends whether the thing viewing them has loaded them into memory and released the file or not.

The Multi-view plugin doesn't have this problem and I prefer it since it doesn't take up as much screen real estate.

For more information search the forums for PD-QVP Viewer or Multi-view

You are right. This is what I did...

1. Install Yahoo Desktop Search (to get the Stellant viewers for free).

2. Renamed c:/program files/stellant folder to something

3. Uninstalled Yahoo Desktop Search from add and remove programs

4. Changed name of stellant folder back to c:/program files/stellant

5. Enabled Multiview plugin in Directory Opus and configured it to point to c:/program files/stellant/filters

6. Unchecked PDF-activex plugin

All is groovy and pdf files can now be renamed while being shown in the viewer pane. Not however that the Stellant PDF viewer doesn't give as clear a view or the same functionality as the pdf-activex plugin. It's fine for me though :slight_smile:

I expect some other file types will now be viewable also with the Stellant viewers.

The Multiview viewer Plugin Config dialog indicates that the Viewer DLLs could not be located. When I use the Locate button to browse to my Powerdesk Professional folder the OK button remains ghosted. No matter which folder I “locate” the OK button is always ghosted. Multiview is enabled. I would like to take advantage of the additional viewers installed on my computer. Please help.

WinXP PRO
DOpus ANSI v8.1.0.7