Can't launch executables from a lister in a Parallels VM

This is a weird one, but it's 100% reliable. I'm using a Windows 10 Professional x64 VM hosted by Parallels on my 2017 iMac. On my machines, I'm letting Parallels map some folders on the Mac to network drives on my Windows VMs. So in this particular case, my machine's download folder is at "Y:\Downloads".

If I navigate to that folder using a lister and double click any valid Windows executable, I get the "How do you want to open this file?" prompt. If I perform that same operation using Windows Explorer, the executable launches as it should instead. I figured it was a Parallels thing, but they claim it has to be an Opus thing, so I'm raising the issue here.

In short, what could be different between the two in the way Opus launches executable files? And is there a configuration setting (or more likely a dozen) I might try tweaking to see if I can fix this? Thanks in advance!

Please open Settings > File Types, then click the File menu and choose Diagnostics. Set the extension to exe and please post the file it creates here or via private message.

Every time I report something, I learn something new about Opus. I had no idea it had that capability. But I'm attaching the file here.

Opus_FTD_File_exe.zip (29.7 KB)

Thank you.

Please delete this registry key and see if that solves things:

HKCU\Software\Classes\.exe\OpenWithList

(The entry below there is Xamarin Profiler (Mac).exe, but the whole key should not normally exist for the .exe type, and having any kind of Open With entries for .exe can cause major problems, not just in Opus.)

Yes! That fixed it. Thank you! I guess this raises the equally ugly observation that it seems Microsoft's Windows Explorer doesn't bother to check their own mechanisms when launching *.exe files. Sheesh.