Can't Open C:\ or any other Drive

I need urgent help. I was trying to get a portable copy of Directory Opus onto a USB Drive that way I didn't have to leave it installed on my work computer since we aren't supposed to have personal software installed to the system (now i see the reason) however after uninstalling Directory Opus and going back to regular Explorer it wont let me open any drive from the Right Pane in Explorer or any drive from any other program like My Computer etc. When I click them it pops up a Choose which program you want to open this with pane.

USB versions are not "installed" or "uninstalled", they just run off the USB stick, so I'm not really sure what you've done.

However, see the FAQ on How to manually remove Explorer Replacement settings as it should let you fix the problem.

[quote="jon"]USB versions are not "installed" or "uninstalled", they just run off the USB stick, so I'm not really sure what you've done.

However, see the FAQ on How to manually remove Explorer Replacement settings as it should let you fix the problem.[/quote]I also had this same problem. Created the portable from a x64 Win7 machine, for use in a 32 bit only environment. After running it for awhile (weeks, months), when I closed DO and removed the USB stick, My Computer, My Network places, as well as all other Explorer functions stopped working correctly. When the "Select Program to Run" popped up, the "Always Use This" was grayed out and couldn't be selected.

When you say "I'm not really sure what you've done"... I didn't do anything but run the portable x86 version on an XP machine from the USB stick. Luckily, the link you pointed to with the registry update fixed it. But this was definitely a problem and was definitely nothing I caused. The program made the changes on its own, and didn't correctly remove them when DO was closed and the USB stick removed.

Did you use the ini file on the USB stick to enable Explorer Replacement under USB?

Doing that, and then e.g. removing the USB stick without shutting down Opus might cause the problem. (It's best used for HDD-based portable installs, and in a fairly hidden ini file setting for this reason.)

Other than that, the USB version should not modify the folder associations in the registry at all.

When you repaired the registry settings using the guide linked above, were there Opus-specific settings in the registry, or were the normal values missing or replaced by something else?

Yes, I had explorer replacement enabled. But I usually make sure DO is shut down before removing the usb stick. I did attempt to reinsert the usb and properly shut down DO, and that didn't work, either.

I didn't check the registry before finding your registry fix and running it. That fixed it, so I would assume something changed there. Maybe the Temp folder it stores the changes in for some reason didn't get accessed properly at some point. Don't know. All I know is... it happened.