Changes Don't Stick

When I make modifications to one of the styles on the tab (Explorer for instance), changes I make don't seem to "stick".

I tried the right-click / Update, but that didn't work.

How can I get visual style changes to be "permanent"?

Regards,
Chuck Billow

What isn't "sticking" exactly?

Right-click / Update is exactly the way to do it, so maybe what you're trying to change isn't actually part of the style.

I'm trying to switch column widths and order...

Will I have to create a new style o do this? I did it via drag / drop, but... no go...

Chuck

[quote="jon"]What isn't "sticking" exactly?

Right-click / Update is exactly the way to do it, so maybe what you're trying to change isn't actually part of the style.[/quote]

[ol]
[li] Right-Click on any Lister-Style Tab you want to customize and select Edit.
NOTE: The Lister Styles preferences tab does not open to the particular style you right-click on![/li]
[li] Select the correct style that you want to edit in the Style list.[/li]
[li] Ensure the Format option is checked.[/li]
[li] You can edit columns by clicking on the [ Edit ] button next to the Format option.[/li][/ol]The columns a Lister displays are part of its Format. If this option is unchecked, and you later change the columns on-the-fly and click on Update Style, I don't believe any column settings will be saved to the Style, because the style does not include a Format—its Format option wasn't checked.

(I'm fairly sure this is what Jon was saying above, he'll jump in if I'm wrong.)

NOTE: If the style is for a dual lister, you must be sure to set the Format option for both the Right (Top) File Display and the Left (Bottom) File Display if you want to be able to customize them both on-the-fly. Otherwise you may be able to update a folder format in one half, but not the other.

Ken / Jon / Steje / Nude et al:

I gotta tell all you guys, that this has to be the closest thing to a perfect program I've seen in a long time. And to top it off, it's got the best support to boot.

You guys have all been helpful, knowledgeable, quick, and funny (I'm STILL trying to find the meaning of "shats and giggles").

I'm off to buy my copy, and I'm only two days into my trial period.

DOpus is the best!

Regards,
Chuck Billow

Aren't we all! :slight_smile:

It would appear, to look on Google, that EVERYBODY knows of it... but no clear def (or whatever) anywhere....

My daughter spent about a year in England, and they as well have euphemisms that just crack me down, as my daughter says... but this one's a keeper.

CB

Aren't we all! :slight_smile:[/quote]

If someone says they did something "for sh**s and giggles" it's the same as them saying they did it "for the hell of it," more or less.

Like, I did this, and maybe it wasn't worth doing, but I did it anyway just to see what would happen or because it would be fun to do even if it turned out not to have much use.

As to where the phrase came from originally, I don't even want to think about that. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

In the U.S., we use it this phrase a great deal, however it is more likely vulgar, as "Shats" tends to become am expletive word of same length and nearly the same spelling. I thin this is because no one really knows what a "Shat" is.

Also, we use the phrase "crack me up", not "crack me down". But I'm sure that is most likely a northern/southern hemisphere thing! However, if one were "cracked" at all, in all likelihood it would be down and not up. Things that crack tend to fall apart (downward).

So the "S&G" is pretty much what one might expect... it's just fun sometimes knowing the path a particular phrase might have taken ...

BTW... it's my grandson that gets "cracked down"... I stole it...

CB

[quote="kenalcock"]In the U.S., we use it this phrase a great deal, however it is more likely vulgar, as "Shats" tends to become am expletive word of same length and nearly the same spelling. I thin this is because no one really knows what a "Shat" is.

Also, we use the phrase "crack me up", not "crack me down". But I'm sure that is most likely a northern/southern hemisphere thing! However, if one were "cracked" at all, in all likelihood it would be down and not up. Things that crack tend to fall apart (downward).[/quote]

FWIW, my dictionary (US) defines it thus:

"shat (sht)
v. Vulgar Slang

A past tense and a past participle of s**t."

Must be a real word.

Mike

This is getting kinda off-topic now :slight_smile: