Clear File Filter

Hi guys,

I have a folder containing many other folders. I enter the search string "max" into the file filter which filters out all files/folders with "max" in their name. Once filtered I double click the desired folder which retains the filter. In most instances nothing is displayed which sometimes makes me think there are no files in that folder until I realise it's still filtered.

Is it possible to clear the filter after double clicking the desired folder...?

Regards

Roly

Go to Settings -> File Types and edit the All Folders type near the top.

On the Events tab edit the Left double-click event which should just run Go right now.

Change it to run this:

Go Set SHOWFILTERFILENAME="" Set HIDEFILTERFILENAME="" Set SHOWFILTERFOLDERS="" Set HIDEFILTERFOLDERS="" Set HIDEFILTERATTR="" Set SHOWFILTERATTR="" Set VIEWFILTER="" Select NOPATTERN SHOWHIDDEN

If you know which kind of filter box you're using then you can remove most of those lines. You should only need one extra line to clear the filter that you're using, but if you're not sure then you can just have it clear all of them. :slight_smile:

Of course, this will only change what happens when you double-click folders (or push return on them, which runs the double-click event). Navigation via other methods (e.g. Parent button) won't be affected unless you edit them as well.

Personally, there are times when I want to keep the filter and times when I don't. For me the solution is to have a "Clear all filters" button on the toolbar which I can click to quickly see everything again. For a while I also had that bound as the action when I double-clicked some empty space in the file display, but instead of being more convenient I always forgot it was there. :slight_smile:

Leo, which setting is set/changed to respond to clicks in empty space in a file display?

Regards, AB

Preferences -> Listers -> File Display: Double-click on file display background...

You'll need to make a user command so that you can assign it to the action. You can do that in Customize -> Commands under the User category.

Cheers Leo, this works a treat. I've assigned it to the Left Double Click + Shift instead which leaves the Left Double Click with the filter in place. Cool!!!