Clicking list mode scrollbar does nothing if column exceeds pane width

Hi,

I've noticed that, if the width of a single column in the file list (in list mode, in the right pane of a lister window) is wider than the width of the right pane (because of some extra-long file names), clicking in the scroll bar (rather than clicking the scroll arrow) does nothing. When the pane is widened so that it contains a whole file column, clicking in the scroll bar works as expected. This appears to be a bug.

Seems fine here. Could you post some screenshots showing what you see?

Hi Leo,

Sure, when I get home I'll put together some screenshots and post them.

Here is a screenshot showing the problem.

I see what you mean.

This is just part of how list mode works, in both Opus and Explorer since time began. List mode will only scroll whole columns, not partial columns or pixel-by-pixel; if the window isn't wide enough to show the a whole column then part of it won't be visible.

You can set a maximum column width (so the overly long name was "..." truncated and doesn't cause a lot of wasted space), and can make it so the status bar and/or infotips show the full name when selecting or hovering over a file, which can help.

I would not really recommend using List mode at all, to be honest, except for something like a simple interface to double-click shortcuts in specific folders. List mode only really exists because it's something Explorer always had, not because it's good or better at anything than any of the other modes.

I think you have misunderstood the problem. In Explorer, clicking in the scroll bar does exactly the same as clicking the right scroll arrow. It's just more convenient because it's a larger target. Surely it's a bug that it doesn't scroll in DOpus? It's not a matter of scrolling partial columns; the whole column scrolls. It's just that part of it is not visible.

What would you recommend instead of list mode? It's the mode I most use, by far. Detail mode is too cluttered for my day-to-day needs.

Explorer does the same thing as Opus here. In List mode, it only scrolls a whole column at a time.

Yes, exactly. So Opus only need to display the same behaviour when clicking in the scroll bar in all cases - irrespective of whether an entire column fits into the visible pane.

Opus and Explorer are already the same in this regard, as far as I can tell. It's how the underlying Windows listview control behaves in List mode.

Maybe a screenshot showing how Explorer is different here would help me understand what you mean.

If you make the pane narrower than the width of a single file column, and then click where the bottom arrow indicates in my screenshot (in the scroll bar, to the right of the scroll box):

• In Explorer, the list scrolls one column to the right, exactly the same as if you'd clicked the right-hand scroll arrow.
  • In Opus, nothing happens.

Incidentally, I imagine that clicking to the left of the scroll box doesn't work either - but I didn't test that explicitly.

Maybe I could record a video?

1 Like

If the pane is wider than a single list column, Opus and Explorer behave identically.

I see what you mean now. Many thanks for explaining it.

That has been fixed for the next beta. (It probably won't be in the 12.16 stable release, unless we end up doing another beta first, but it will be in 12.16.1 beta after that.)

1 Like

Excellent! We got there in the end.