Color-code folders on a network shared drive for other users to see?

Hi,
I understand Opus will allow me to "Color-code your files, assign status icons, star ratings, tags and descriptions"

Can i do this on a NAS share and have other users with this software able to see the colored folders and color on their own?

You can, as long as the network drive uses NTFS (or supports ADS, which usually means NTFS).

Details here:

No, unfortunately its a Synology unit formatted for Btrfs

I just read a little further about Alternate Data Streams. That's a Microsoft-specific spec. The Btrfs version is 'Extended Attributes'. Does Opus support Extended Attributes ?

It's entirely up to the NAS. Opus will request the ADS stream via the standard method on Windows, and Windows will convert that into the standard request via the SMB/CIFS protocol which Windows and the NAS talk to each other using.

What the NAS then does with that request, and whether or not it maps it to the equivalent of ADS in the filesystem the NAS is really using, is up to the NAS.

So it might work, but you'd have to test it, or ask the NAS vendor about how to enable it if it doesn't work.

(There is no way for Windows software to talk directly to the NAS about its native filesystem; it all goes via SMB/CIFS, and is handled by the OS and NAS on their respective sides. Individual apps like Opus aren't really involved in how/whether it works.)

1 Like