Column refreshing constantly on QNAP NAS

Hi darkhelmet and frose

Did one of you already ask in the QNAP forum as Leo suggested?
I own a QNAP 219P and encountered the same problem recently.

Thanks
Roger

same problem still there in version 10, it's a pity :frowning:

IMHO it's in the responsibility of GPSoftware to clarify this with QNAP and act accordingly. Notice that the MS Explorer can do here (only at this point) a better job .

Apart from that, the new version is excellent, I've installed it since yesterday and I love it even now :smiley:

Frank

This issue isn't caused by Opus and there's nothing we could really change on the Opus side to help.

Opus already provides you with a way to ignore file changes on network drives, which stops the constant-refresh issue (and obviously stops all auto-refreshing on network drives, but what else can we do?).

It has to be solved by QNAP. Opus is responding correctly to what the QNAP NAS is telling it.

The QNAP NAS should not be generating file-change events just because files are opened for reading. That's against the rules of Windows filesystems. QNAP don't need GPSoftware to tell them this; it should be obvious to them as soon as anyone points it out. (Failing that, they just need to compare their behaviour to that of any other SMB NAS.)

GPSoftware aren't QNAP customers, but you guys are. You are in a better position to raise the issue with them than us. We also don't have any QNAP hardware to confirm the problem with, or clarify details of if asked, and we would not be able to test any fix provided by QNAP if they wanted verification that it worked before releasing it. All we can tell QNAP is the obvious, that their NAS implementation is incorrectly sending file-change notifications when files are opened for reading. (Presumably they're sending a change notification because the accessed timestamp changes; that isn't supposed to happen and doesn't happen on Windows.)

Has anyone reported this problem to QNAP? Have they responded?

Sometimes it feels like the Opus team get asked to fix everyone else's bugs, then get complaints when they don't, just because we actually respond quickly to people and try to fix what we can, not because it's logical for the fix/workaround to be made in Opus. In this case, the problem is with QNAP and they are the only people who can really fix it.

This stuff aside, glad you like the new version!

Leo,

the MS explorer can handle with QNAP NAS, even if ID3-Tags are changing, why Opus can't do that?

If you want to have the best explorer substitution with Opus, you should act, even if the bug is on QNAP side :exclamation:

And BTW, you are the better contact person for QNAP, because you can explain in detail what happens, I can't :blush:

For what it's worth, QNAP NAS are very good high performance drives and I quite satisfied with it.

searching the QNAP-forum, found this thread: forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... 68#p197368 and posted a reply, HTH!

I guess because Explorer doesn't re-calculate ID3 tags when files change. Just a guess though. Opus isn't Explorer, they both do things in different ways. Doesn't make it Opus's fault when a bug in something else triggers it to do something unwanted.

We can't act because the bug isn't anything we have control over.

What do you propose we do, exactly?

We already provide an option to ignore changes on network drives.

Just explain what happens and quote what I said in this thread.

[ul][li] As you can see, it affects PowerDesk Pro as well as Opus.

[/li]
[li] The QNAP forum requires people to create, authorize and login with an account just to view tech support threads. It's not a good sign when a company tries to hide their tech support threads, at the inconvenience of their own users as well as potential customers.

[/li]
[li] The thread is almost a month old but QNAP haven't so much as replied.[/li][/ul]

I suspect this is why we get asked to fix everyone else's problems. Asking most companies (especially hardware companies) to fix software problems is like emailing a black hole. :slight_smile: But in this case we can't fix it. It's up to them.

[quote] frose wrote:the MS explorer can handle with QNAP NAS, even if ID3-Tags are changing, why Opus can't do that?

Leo wrote: I guess because Explorer doesn't re-calculate ID3 tags when files change. Just a guess though. Opus isn't Explorer, they both do things in different ways. Doesn't make it Opus's fault when a bug in something else triggers it to do something unwanted.
[/quote]
That is exactly the point: Explorer CAN re-calculate ID3 tags when files changes in the background, Opus CAN't!

Why Microsoft can and you can't?

Opus can ignore the file-change events in a short time interval, when the files are opened for reading by Opus. These events which are fired in that short time interval are with a big probability from Opus himself and not from another application :bulb:
I know, it's not 100%, but 99,99% :wink:

I've done it here forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... 68#p197368, now we will see what happens.

Yes, perhaps that increase the pressure to act for QNAP

Don't over emphasize, it's very easy to register, I think it's a matter of taste.

Yes, that's a bad omen :frowning:

Yes, I totally agree upon

No, I don't agree :neutral_face:

Opus can, unless using a QNAP NAS with buggy firmware.

Every other NAS can avoid incorrectly reporting file changes, but QNAP can't.

This isn't an Opus problem. It's a QNAP problem. I'm sorry that QNAP have left such a bug in their devices and ignore their customers when they reported it, but that doesn't make it our fault.

Why a hundred other NAS vendors can and QNAP can't?

[quote]Opus can ignore the file-change events in a short time interval, when the files are opened for reading by Opus. These events which are fired in that short time interval are with a big probability from Opus himself and not from another application :bulb:
I know, it's not 100%, but 99,99% :wink: [/quote]
Or QNAP can just fix their bugs so we don't have to add a lot of complexity and heuristics -- which will equal bugs and weird behaviour for everyone -- to work around QNAP's mistakes.

If we did ignore changes that happened after a short interval then we'd be showing stale information when the files actually had been changed. And the only way to tell if the file has been changed is to open it and read its contents, which triggers the buggy QNAP NAS to tell us it has been changed again.

This is not to mention the problems this incorrect behaviour might cause other software which reacts to file changes.

It's easy, but imagine if every web page made you create an account, think of a password, wait for the email, activate, then go back to the page before you could even see what was on the page? And what's the benefit in that?

Making you create an account just to read a support thread is wrong. It's companies trying to hide their tech support issues from the outside world, and making it a pain to find solutions to things. Most forum visitors don't create or reply to threads; they're just looking for help/answers, often just wanting to read one thread they found via searching, which may not even help them in the end. Making people spend a minute just to see if one page has useful information is ridiculous. There's no benefit to the end-user; except it hides things from casual observers and search engines.

CATCH 22

It's not catch-22 at all.

The bug is in QNAP's code. We cannot fix their bug. They can. So hassle them, not us.

Why are there pages of complaints about QNAP's problem in our forum, and not theirs? I think it's because we actually talk to our users and generally try to fix things and they don't. QNAP get away with releasing a buggy device & ignoring their customers while we get the complaints and demands for a fix. We're being punished because we're usually helpful but can't fix other companies' problems all the time. :frowning:

ok, I agree with you in almost all aspects, apart from: if QNAP doesn't react until ??, then GPSoftware can implement MS Explorer behaviour, so please put it on the Opus wish list :opussanta:

We use a QNAP TS-509.

According to a post in this thread (where lots and lots of people are complaining about the same underlying issue affecting Explorer!), QNAP are now aware of the problem and have reproduced it, but no ETA on a fix as of yet:

forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=43551

A post in this thread says rolling back to the 3.3.9 QNAP firmware is a workaround:

forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=185&t=42141

I came across this very old thread because I've been experiencing the exact same symptoms with a Synology NAS that has just been upgraded to DSM 6.2.1-23824. Since the DSM upgrade (which cannot be undone - there is no safe way to downgrade Synology firmware), file attribute columns such a Duration and Description are constantly refreshing with partial information. The only workaround I found so far was the one suggested in this very thread - disabling DOpus detection of file changes on network drives.

I opened a ticket with Synology and will update if they come back with anything useful. It might also be beneficial to remove "QNAP" from the thread topic since the problem is now proven to occur with other NAS brands.

Synology DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 1 seems to have solved the problem.

It's strange how NAS vendors keep reintroducing old bugs into new products. At least the better ones do fix them in the end.

It probably makes sense to stop updating your NAS firmware once it seems reasonably stable :slight_smile: